Earplanes
Sep 30, 2005 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Burns11

100+ Head-Fier
After getting some earplanes from amazon (they have them $10 for 3 pair), I cut them off as it was originally explained, in between the ceramic filter and the largest flange. After trying them I didn't like them at all, I didn't like the fit, the feel or the sound (in fact, it seemed that the E3s were too far out of my canal). So I cut them off again inbetween the largest and second largest flange and like them much better, they can go much deeper. There is a bit of pressure at first, but that quickly went away and now I am really just enjoying the sound (they sound much like the yellow foams I was using before, but with better bass). Isolations is just as good, if not better.

I don't have a digital camera, so no pics, but I think you can get the idea.

Oct 9, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 7
More from my earplanes oddysey. The more I used the "triflange" version I had done before, the more they hurt my ears. In the end, they started to burn to the point of not being able to wear them, so I cut them off again making a "biflange" out of the smallest two flanges. They fit much better, and after extended use they don't hurt my ears, but I've discovered that my right ear canal is slightly larger than my left. So, the left fit perfect, but in the right the seal was off just slightly (sonically it wasn't bad, but lost some isolation). So I tried cutting the right tip off so that it had the middle two flanges. Isolation was more even, but it started to hurt that ear canal (too big I guess).

So, I guess that's where my earplanes experiment has to end. I liked the foamies except that I didn't like having to roll them up before insertion, it seems like wearing IEMs is an invitation for everyone to try and talk to me so I end up having to pull one of them out to hear (well, I can hear some with the player just paused, just not enough to hear conversation easily).

I may try comply tips, but they are just so expensive, are they worth the money? Do they not need to be rolled up like foamies? Do they have a firmer texture than the foamies? They seem like they might from the pics.

Oct 9, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 7
thanks for sharing the experience. How is the sound of it compare to the foam?

Oct 9, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
thanks for sharing the experience. How is the sound of it compare to the foam?

Just cut off normally, better bass and slightly less high end. Once I cut them off to tri and bi-flange they retained the bass but I got better highs, I think because they were able to be much deeper in my ears. doing a side by side with the foam (listening to a song with foam, then switching tips and listening to the same song), the foamies definitely have less highs. I thought that the changes might have been caused by the EQ, so I reset it and listened to the same song on both. The bass is definitely punchier, much better highs (highest highs are still recessed, especially cymbals, but overall it is better), with the earplanes. The foamies seem darker, to a fault in fact. The sound is much more enjoyable with the earplanes like I had them.

Thanks, your question just saved me quite a bit of money on various foam tips (I would have ended up trying them all). I also discovered a nick on one of the earplanes during my tip switching that seemed to cause my slight loss of isolation with my right canal (it's still larger, putting the nicked tip in my left ear didn't effect the isolation for that ear and the other tip restored isolation for the right). So now I am happy with the earplanes again.

Oct 9, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 7
Just had an unnerving experience, one of the earplanes came off in my ear! I guess maybe during my take off, put back on experimentations I got some earwax between the earplane and the nozzle making it slippery. Luckily I got it out, but it's not a good feeling to remove an earphone only to look down and see a bare nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back