Earphones without isolation are getting harder to find
Jul 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JK1

Headphoneus Supremus
I like the sports ones with ear hooks, however there seems to be fewer and fewer models of these as time goes by. It troubles me to see people using isolating earphones and headphones in circumstances where doing so is quite dangerous. If this continues, some areas might even pass laws banning the use of headphones while people are walking across traffic intersections. It is already against the law in many places to bicycle while using headphones or earphones in both ears. Of course doing so almost anywhere while driving is against the law.

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 13
No comments?

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 13
I think you have your answer. The majority of the head-fi community that wears IEMs want IEMs that sound good - and that usually means they also isolate very well. Otherwise, you end-up with the cr@ppy buds that came with your phone. Now, if you are actually talking about supraaural clip-on 'phones, like the KSC-75 or the ATH-EW9, those are often seen as simply portable headphones for folks that can't stand wearing deep insertion IEMs.

For me, if I am walking in traffic or any other place where hearing is important, then I don't wear headphones of any kind.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 13
I think you have your answer. The majority of the head-fi community that wears IEMs want IEMs that sound good - and that usually means they also isolate very well. Otherwise, you end-up with the cr@ppy buds that came with your phone. Now, if you are actually talking about supraaural clip-on 'phones, like the KSC-75 or the ATH-EW9, those are often seen as simply portable headphones for folks that can't stand wearing deep insertion IEMs.

For me, if I am walking in traffic or any other place where hearing is important, then I don't wear headphones of any kind.

I want to listen to music though while walking around. I find that the JVC HA-EB75 earbuds with rubber ear hooks for under $10 has a pleasant enough midrange and highs for casual use while I am active, although it is bass deficient. Boosting the bass by 8db on the player though makes it pleasant enough to use while I am active. It doesn't isolate, so if I keep the music volume low, I hear my surroundings just fine. I tried some Panasonic ones, however the ear hooks were much too large and not adjustable. The ear hooks on the HA-EB75 are adjustable, and very comfortable since they are rubber. Some people with very small ears though say that even at the smallest setting, the ear hooks are too large for them. For me, the smallest setting fits fine. I haven't tried the much more expensive Sennheiser models, especially since they got only mediocre ratings on Amazon. They seem to be mostly discontinued anyway, and several models are only available as refurbs. I don't like the straight plug on the HA-EB75, although it is small. Hopefully JVC will make an improved version of this with even better sound, a right angle plug, and the ability to adjust the ear hook to an even smaller size.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 13
Jul 21, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 13
I have not heard those JVCs - but I find bud-style canal 'phones incredibly uncomfortable and I very much prefer IEMs or on-ear. I would probably just get a pair of Koss PortaPros or KSC-75.

At $10, there are no magic answers - it's just a matter of trying to find something that sounds "not bad" to you.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 13
I have not heard those JVCs - but I find bud-style canal 'phones incredibly uncomfortable and I very much prefer IEMs or on-ear. I would probably just get a pair of Koss PortaPros or KSC-75.

At $10, there are no magic answers - it's just a matter of trying to find something that sounds "not bad" to you.

The JVC model I mentioned aren't canal phones. They are traditional earbuds but with ear hooks. I would spend a bit more if it would get me much better sound, however I wouldn't pay 6x the price or more for just a very slight improvement in sound quality.

http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028669

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 13

The JVC model I mentioned aren't canal phones. They are traditional earbuds but with ear hooks. I would spend a bit more if it would get me much better sound, however I wouldn't pay 6x the price or more for just a very slight improvement in sound quality.

http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028669

Ahem...bud-style canalphones?

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Jul 22, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 13
We're going to argue useless semantics - but I'll just give my own, simplistic definition: "Canalphones are earphones that are designed to fit in the outer ear canal." This is contrasted with IEMs, which I define as: "Inner Ear Monitors are earphones that are designed to fit in the inner ear canal."

Ear buds, I define as any earphones that have a housing generally shaped like this:

Therefore, under my definitions, some canalphones are buds, and all buds are canalphones.

You are, of course, free to use any other definition you wish.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 13
We're going to argue useless semantics - but I'll just give my own, simplistic definition: "Canalphones are earphones that are designed to fit in the outer ear canal." This is contrasted with IEMs, which I define as: "Inner Ear Monitors are earphones that are designed to fit in the inner ear canal."

Ear buds, I define as any earphones that have a housing generally shaped like this:

Therefore, under my definitions, some canalphones are buds, and all buds are canalphones.

You are, of course, free to use any other definition you wish.

Most people use the terms canalphones and IEMs to mean the same thing. They use the term traditional earbuds to describe those that don't isolate.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #13 of 13
No more comments? The use by many people of isolating headphones or earphones when it is unsafe to do so is an important issue. If this continues, laws will be passed restricting headphone(and earphone) use by pedestrians. I don't want to lose the right to walk around(through traffic, etc) while listening to music. Those who do it irresponsibly though may cause problems for the rest of us.

http://handsfreeinfo.com/distracted-walking-pedestrians-law/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/us/26runners.html?_r=0

https://www.rt.com/news/206223-israel-ban-headphones-crosswalks/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back