Earphones with closest SQ to B&W D's or HQ metel done tweeters
Oct 5, 2006 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Julien

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for new earphones and would like the sound (especially highs) as close to my 803D's as possible (I know apples and oranges but please humor me). I really want the highs to have that natural crystal clear sound that my 803D's have. Use Shure E4c (and E3C) but don't really care for the smooth highs. The overall sound qulity is very good with excellent bass, a detailed midrange, and a wide sound stage. However the highs remind me of the way a plastic dome tweeters sound. Looking at the new Shure E500 but afraid it has the same "too smooth" plastic sounding highs. Ultimate Ears has that soon to be released 10 Pro. Will it come closer? How about Etymonics or Westone or any other suggestions? I bet diamond would make a fantastic driver for earphones. If only B&W or someone made them. Of course they would be expensive.

They need to be in-ear sound isolating and rugged enough for 1 to 2 hours a day of weight lifting and running. Will be used with a iPod Nano and Apple Lossless.

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julien
I'm looking for new earphones and would like the sound (especially highs) as close to my 803D's as possible (I know apples and oranges but please humor me). I really want the highs to have that natural crystal clear sound that my 803D's have. Use Shure E4c (and E3C) but don't really care for the smooth highs. The overall sound qulity is very good with excellent bass, a detailed midrange, and a wide sound stage. However the highs remind me of the way a plastic dome tweeters sound. Looking at the new Shure E500 but afraid it has the same "too smooth" plastic sounding highs. Ultimate Ears has that soon to be released 10 Pro. Will it come closer? How about Etymonics or Westone or any other suggestions? I bet diamond would make a fantastic driver for earphones. If only B&W or someone made them. Of course they would be expensive.

They need to be in-ear sound isolating and rugged enough for 1 to 2 hours a day of weight lifting and running. Will be used with a iPod Nano and Apple Lossless.

Actually the E500 might sound quite similar to the 803D. I've auditioned (about 2-3 hours in total) the 803D and 803S using some Classe pre-/power amp, CD/SACDP and my impression was crystal clear highs and pretty heavy bass. 803D was quite a bit better. Anyway, back on topic.

The E500 kinda sounds the same, but doesn't have the same crystal clear highs. The bass isn't as well controlled or as deep as the 803D either. I can't imagine ANY headphone matching the 803D's raw power, soundstage, bass, crystal clear highs, etc... I mean, you're talking about a pair of $10k+ speakers here... I didn't like them though because their bass was slightly too dominating. I'm sorry, but there comes a point where headphones simply can't keep up, but this is coming from someone who hasn't heard any truly high end headphones.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
B&W headphones. That would be amazing, but I'm sure will never happen.

That sounds like a job for Duggeh!

Oct 6, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by guru388
I dunno? But the Sennheiser 650s sound like my B&W CM1s.

I'm looking for earphones.
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by guru388
I dunno? But the Sennheiser 650s sound like my B&W CM1s.

I'm a yellow Kevlar guy too
biggrin.gif
Low-end B&W is as far as I've gotten, and I'm very happy with them. I ordered the 602s3 before they were available in the US. I've been enjoying them ever since.

I can just imagine what B&W would develop if they ever got into headphones.

Oct 6, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 23
The closest headphone I have heard to my B&W N800 siggies is the AKG K701, when we're talking about treble. But you want an IEM.

I recenbtly got and really like the E500, and they do NOT have a plastic sound, but their treble is more laid back than my N800's. The E500 treble is nice and detailed, and very smooth. I'd go so far to say it's treble is excellent.

Oct 6, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
The closest headphone I have heard to my B&W N800 siggies is the AKG K701, when we're talking about treble. But you want an IEM.

I recenbtly got and really like the E500, and they do NOT have a plastic sound, but their treble is more laid back than my N800's. The E500 treble is nice and detailed, and very smooth. I'd go so far to say it's treble is excellent.

One more time: I'm looking for earphones as in earphone and NOT headphones.
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

We appologize, Julien. But sometimes we just get carried away havin' fun by saying something way OT like: "My MS-1 and MS2i sound very much like the aluminum drivers and titanium tweeters in my Axiom speaker system."

Just a bunch of kids havin' some fun!
biggrin.gif

.......and sneakin' in some info on a closely related subject!
blink.gif
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Julien,

You should refer to "earphones" as IEMs. I think Skylab was recommending the E500 as being a candidate for your new purchase.

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 23
In my first reply, I suggested the E500. I think I'll still stand by my recommendation. I still can't think of any IEM that will match the performance of the 803D, though, the E500 should come closest. It's sound signature is vaguely similar and has a pretty nice bass like the 803D. Don't expect any IEM to match the bass extention, amplitude and control that three 7inch woofers have. Neither will you feel satisfied if you expect an IEM to reproduce up to 30kHz of crystal clear highs! Lower your expectations and you'll find a whole range of IEM "listenable"
wink.gif
If good highs is what you're looking for, then the Etymotic ER4 series should be on your shortlist.

What kinda amps/source you using?

BTW, while they may not have the most detailed and accurate highs, the E500 definitely don't sound plastic to me. And on the topic of accuracy, the 803D aren't the most accurate loudspeakers either! Fun, but not accurate. A bit like the E500.

Oct 7, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
Julien,

You should refer to "earphones" as IEMs. I think Skylab was recommending the E500 as being a candidate for your new purchase.

Indeed I was! Sheesh Julien, I was trying to help, no need to be nasty about it.

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Indeed I was! Sheesh Julien, I was trying to help, no need to be nasty about it.

I sincerely apologize Skylab. I actually ment to put a smiley emotion at the end the same as I did in the previous post but honestly missed doing it.
eek.gif
I have edited my post to included it and it was not my intention to offend. I just thought it was funny getting the same response just a couple of threads latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back