Earphones with a decent microphone for walk and talks
Jun 2, 2016 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shadebug

New Head-Fier
Hello, first time here so let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm about to start doing a vlog type affair that's going to involve situations which, for simplicity, I'll want to record on a smartphone. I'm thinking the easiest way to do this will be just to use a standard headset with an inline microphone along the lines of apple earpods but if I could get one with a known decent microphone, that would be great. Unfortunately I can't find any reviews anywhere that talk about the quality of inline mics on headsets beyond "good for phone calls", which doesn't fill me with confidence since yoghurt pots on a string are good for phone calls.

So, do we know of any headphones which have a known decent microphone in them or will they always be trash and I'll have to settle for a two wire set up and clip a lav on? Is a decent mic actually a hindrance as it'll capture too much environment?

For listening quality I don't much care. I'm walking/cycling down the street so noise isolation is a bad plan (I actually really like the apple earpods for that reason, lets in lots of the environment, lets out little of the music) and audio quality will be ruined by the sound of traffic regardless.

So, any ideas? Is it a lost cause?

Thanks

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 3
I wouldn't say that inline mics on IEMs are "trash", but they are inherently limited in their quality due to form factor and design goals; they're designed for basic phone call duties and not professional audio recording. No inline mic that I know of has a windscreen (that works well, anyways), so ambient noise gets in easily. As long as you keep your expectations realistic and are good at sound editing, inline mics will probably be "good enough", especially as an audio recording solution on the go.

If you still want to go down the inline mic route, the Phillips Fidelio S1 or S2 would be a good fit for you. They have excellent sound quality for the price, are semi-open so that you can hear your environment easily while outside, and have an inline mic, although like many people, I have not used the mic for serious audio recording, so I can't comment on the quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back