Earphones on airplanes?
May 4, 2004 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

random person

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a recent convert to canalphones (Shure E3 now; Ultimate Ears E5c on order) and was wondering about their performance on airplanes. I also own Bose Quiet Comforts (I and II) but sometimes think even the newer version is kinda big to haul around. I was about to try the Shure's in flight when I found myself wondering about risks to the eardrums or ear canal given pressurization. Do any of you use these phones on airplanes? Is there a risk that they will hurt the ear, crack in flight, be impossible to remove or otherwise cause problems? How do they compare with the Bose in flight (other than the obvious comfort issues, where the Bose is truly awesome.) Love them earphones but I don't wanna wreck my ears using them!

May 4, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 5
I have Etys, the 4s versions. I have modified them to enter my large canals, and can "tune" them by how far I insert them. DO NOT DO THIS unless you want to take responsibility UPON YOURSELF for the consequences.

I travel a fair amount, and cannot survive without my ETYs...

I have never had a problem with equalization, in spite of many pressure/depressure cycles. I have never had much trouble with my ears, even though I SCUBA dive often. Some of my friends have had trouble with their ears, though, and have had infections, and trouble equalizing, even without earphones...

I suspect that if you have never had trouble equalizing your ears after/during diving, or flying, then you will have little or no trouble with the earphones.

My two cents...

Regards

Big Ugly

May 4, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi..

I recently got the Ety ER-4S for use on my flight from Florida to Calif.. a long 5 hours flight. I was running the Etys off of the Creative NJB3 connected to a Xin Supermini 6.2 amp, and to me the Etys performed wonderfully. I am not sure about how good or bad the Bose are, as I haven't tried them, but I've heard good things about their isolation (not the sound quality, though)..

Using the Etys with the foam tips would provide the best isolation IMHO, as they provide a better seal for your ear canal. To me using the foam tips, the jet engine noise has been reduced to something similar to the drone of an AC machine (normal hearing), if you understand what I mean.. You won't get an isolation that compares to a silent room, though, but combine the isolation of the Etys with their sound quality, you'll have a clear choice over the Bose for 'music' on the planes. There could be an issue with the sound of the Etys for 'bassheads' as the bass tends to be a bit compromised in the presence of the low frequency noise from the jet engine. But, I've found that the 'Plane' DSP mode on the NJB3 to have improved the sound a lot, so you can fiddle with the equalizer if you want more bass.

Finally, I haven't had any problems with my ears using the Etys, but this is very subjective to assure you that you won't have any problems. The best way to find out is to try for yourself. (the usual statement, after all the rambling ...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Cheers !!

-raaj

Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
I'm a recent convert to canalphones (Shure E3 now; Ultimate Ears E5c on order) and was wondering about their performance on airplanes. I also own Bose Quiet Comforts (I and II) but sometimes think even the newer version is kinda big to haul around. I was about to try the Shure's in flight when I found myself wondering about risks to the eardrums or ear canal given pressurization. Do any of you use these phones on airplanes? Is there a risk that they will hurt the ear, crack in flight, be impossible to remove or otherwise cause problems? How do they compare with the Bose in flight (other than the obvious comfort issues, where the Bose is truly awesome.) Love them earphones but I don't wanna wreck my ears using them!

May 4, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 5
I have used the Ety's for a couple of years now and I too would not like to travel without them. I wear them during the entire flight and have never had an issue. On takeoff and landing I will also often leave them in although they are not attached to a source. I have become more of a minimalist as far as carry ons are concerned and the Etys fit right in. For the trip I am on now I am using them with Nomad HD player and the SR-71 prototype amp that was at the latest Chicago meet. This setup is a pure joy.

May 4, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 5
I had some issues with the bass response, until I spent some time making sure that the silicone tri-flange fit correctly, without wrinkles...ultimately, I ended up cutting off the largest flange, and trimming the second flange to fit my ear canals,so that I could insert the seals and transducers partly within the canals..after that, I am really happy with them, and almost always use them, even though I have some other fairly high-end phones.

(DISCLAIMER) I do not suggest that anyone do what I have done, and hereby hold myself harmless (and them to indemnify me) from anyone else's stupidity doing what they think I have done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back