Earphones for walking to/from class...
Jan 27, 2003 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

vwap

Padawan.
I need a pair of earphones to walk to and from class with. I've currently got the Etymotic ER-4S... but the loud *THUD* *THUD* *THUD* every time I take a step is getting annoying
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there anything out there that's small and not very intrusive that would be better for walking around? I'm interested in the Sennheiser PXC250... but of course it isn't out yet...

So.. yeah
smily_headphones1.gif

The microphonics is sorta annoying too... so maybe I'll get a 4P with a 4S adapter... hmm

Jan 27, 2003 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 21
Believe me, the 4p->4s cable don't help you much in microphonics.
Therefore, you better to get another pair of headphone.

Senn PX250 is a good choice......I guesssssssssssssssssssss!

Jan 27, 2003 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
Senn PX250 is a good choice......I guesssssssssssssssssssss!

Well, if anyone could find a pair, it might be an even better choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 21
desert_fox
HI: Koss -35. but if you want great sound nothing beats the eggo D66 portable headphones.

Jan 27, 2003 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 21
I cannot speak for the PX250s but I can say that for outdoor/ in-motion listening I do not think the PX series is a great choice. Unless you have very small ears these will sit outside of your ears and not cover your entire ear. On a calm day this is no big deal but when the wind whips up, it will funnel into the cans from the exposed part of our ear. The result is a ton of wind noise that makes listening unpleasant.
I have not tried the Sony Eggos but they, I believe may be a better choice for this application.
Sonically I love the PX series but us it mostly so I am not annoying everyone in the lab in which I work.
Bobes

Jan 27, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 21
Actually, I do had Eggo before. But now it is broken already.(around 5 years ago, which only release in Japan at that time and I bought it from Hong Kong. It cost me around $100US). For Eggo vs Sony 7506, I find out Sony 7506 give more tight bass and give more detail. However, Eggo looks so "COOL', lots of girl look at me when I was in high school when I was wearing it in school.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 21
The PXC250's electronics is adept at cancelling out low-frequency noise. For the rest, you're looking at the physical isolation that the tiny earcups can offer (which is surprisingly not bad, but not great either).
Let's take a scenario: You're in a train or bus, next to the window and you're being blown by the wind. There are two people talking next to you.
With noise cancelling off, you will be able to hear a very loud wind buffet, train/bus rumble, and the two people talking.
Switch on noise cancelling and the buffet + train/bus rumble will go away to a large extent. You will still be able to hear the two people.
With the Eggo, you will hear a reduced wind buffet compared to the PX but still quite a bit, all the low frequency rumbles, and the two people talking as well.
How much of the above you actually hear with your music is dependent on what/how loud you're listening.
The PXC250 cancels out more rumble than any other headphone I've tried to date portably. It's now the only portable headphone I use.
Does that help?

Jan 27, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 21
Hmm... I'd rather not go with the eggos ... they're just too obvious...

The Sennheisers are slightly less obvious... and cancel out sound for that matter.. [well, somewhat, anyway..
smily_headphones1.gif
]

I'd stay with the Ety's.. but the thumpthumpthump is getting to me... they work fine for not moving.. but even without the microphonics... uggh.

Hrm.. I guess it's something to mull over for a while..

-Andy

Jan 27, 2003 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 21
The ety er6 *thud* sound isn't so bad for me, but I doubt you'll want to buy er6s if you have 4s.

So in my mind that leaves the Eggos, and the ever trusty px200s.
biggrin.gif

On my normal-sized ears (I think they're normal), the px200 completely covers it, except for the earlobe.

Of course, Lou solved this with my Golden px200 award
tongue.gif
Thanks Lou!
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 21
How about the Sennheiser MX400/MX500? There are lots of fans of it here, and you can get it for under $20...

Jan 28, 2003 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
i wonder what the tinniest in-ear phones are. like, hearing aid size maybe. for "discrete" in class listning :p

I assume you mean "tiniest" (smallest) in-ear phones. - No offense intended! Sounds like a good idea to me though, tiny 'phones, invisible, teacher doesn't notice ... you get the drift. If I find any "invisible" earphones, first I'll buy a set and then I'll tell you!! Perhaps Mr Wilson would like to comment
biggrin.gif
!

Personally, I'm all for
wink.gif
instead of
smily_headphones1.gif
!!!!!

Jan 28, 2003 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 21
Lou,

Quote:

desert_fox
HI: Koss -35. but if you want great sound nothing beats the eggo D66 portable headphones

I'm wondering if the Eggo (66) sounds better than Sony MDR-V6. Can you explain it a little. Thanks, Lou!

Jan 28, 2003 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 21
purk
HI: I never herd the V6. I have has lots of different portable cans but none of them sounded almost like full size cans and with the detail and smoothness of the eggo D66.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back