Earphones for MD
May 5, 2003 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 13
I really like how my Ety ER-4S sounds straight out of my Sharp MT77 MD recorder. They go for $270 new, around $200 used.

May 5, 2003 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Nights_85
Ok, so can anyone suggest a nice high quality pair of earphones for my MD, that is number $200US, and is easily driven?

is there really much different between e1c and e2c?

Do you mean 'in the ear' types only, or also 'headphones'?

May 5, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 13
How are you going to be listening to them? IMO, their microphonics make them rather impractical for mobile use. If you're gonna be sitting rather still, then I say go for Etys. :) In the earbud/canalphone category, I don't think they have much competition.

May 5, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 13
Although many recommend the 4P instead of the 4S for use straight out of portables, the 4S for me sounds plenty loud, and doesn't lack bass.

I guess buying the 4P will give you the maximum versatility however, since you can just buy the adapter cable to convert it to a 4S. It adds to the bulk, though, so if you prefer the 4S sound out of portables, it doesn't make sense to buy the 4P...

Remember, I haven't heard the 4P so I can't really say how big a difference it makes..

May 6, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 13
ok i had it with earbuds heaphone, what's with all these small earbuds that cost $500 to stick in your ears that suppose to sound better than a 5inches wide heaphone. i figure in 5 years, they'll make a headphone that is size of a bibi bullet and sell that for $1000 and claming its one of the greatest headphone with wide range bass. why do you people spend so much money on something that small, too much money to waste or something. i'm declaring war against earbud headphones right now.

May 6, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by terrymx
what's with all these small earbuds that cost $500 to stick in your ears that suppose to sound better than a 5inches wide heaphone

i don't know what's with them either, but all i know is that they do sound a lot better than most 5inch wide headphones.
tongue.gif
i love my ety er4p...

Quote:

i figure in 5 years, they'll make a headphone that is size of a bibi bullet and sell that for $1000 and claming its one of the greatest headphone with wide range bass.

in 5 years hopefully I'll be making some money, and if they do have etys reduced to the size of BB bullets and sound better by then, i'll buy them
biggrin.gif
then i can probably really sleep with them on too!

Quote:

why do you people spend so much money on something that small, too much money to waste or something.

you've got to hear those small things... as the korean proverb goes, "small chilis are spicier"
wink.gif

May 6, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

what's with all these small earbuds that cost $500 to stick in your ears that suppose to sound better than a 5inches wide heaphone. i figure in 5 years, they'll make a headphone that is size of a bibi bullet and sell that for $1000 and claming its one of the greatest headphone with wide range bass. why do you people spend so much money on something that small, too much money to waste or something. i'm declaring war against earbud headphones right now.

http://homepage.mac.com/macdef/smilies/What.gif

May 6, 2003 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

ok i had it with earbuds heaphone, what's with all these small earbuds that cost $500 to stick in your ears that suppose to sound better than a 5inches wide heaphone. i figure in 5 years, they'll make a headphone that is size of a bibi bullet and sell that for $1000 and claming its one of the greatest headphone with wide range bass. why do you people spend so much money on something that small, too much money to waste or something. i'm declaring war against earbud headphones right now.

And I'm declaring war against the myth that "bigger is always better" right now. You see, at every price point you'll find some of the very largest headphones that actually underperform some headphones that are far smaller in size - because all that size is only going to increase the likelihood of reproducing unnatural and excessive echoing or ringing noises due to excessive resonances.

Okay, so all headphones do have some resonances. It's just that the largest-sized headphones suffer from having way too many of those. (As a rule, the more total housing material used in a pair of headphones, the more likely that pair of headphones will resonate unpleasantly - and closed headphones resonate even more profoundly than open-air headphones of the same size.)

As a footnote, the Sony MDR-R10, despite being closed-back and relatively large in size, produces resonances that actually enhance the listening pleasure. On the other hand, cheaper closed headphones the same size and weight as the MDR-R10 would almost certainly produce excessive soundstage-destroying resonances that actually contribute greatly to listening fatigue.

May 6, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 13
If you have $200 to spend, I've heard great things about the Etymotics Er-4P (not S) in combination with basic portables as opposed to adding an additional amp.

I have the Er-6 and that works well with a minidisc, but I supect the Er-4P would be better.
You can get the Er-4P for $270 new, maybe $200 used. The Er-6 for $130 new and $90-100 used.

May 6, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 13
hmm I've been looking at the shures.. and the e1c looks pretty good to me, although they are pretty dog ugly I've heard people praising them against the er6's... I'd want something that if I accidentaly feel asleep with wouldn't kebab brain because they went in too far after I leaned my head on em..

I'm generally going for canalphones cause I generally wanna listen to music on my way to college, and I'm sick to death of having to blare my music at ear shattering levels just so I can hear the damn music
mad.gif

all your helps' appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back