Earphones for GF
Apr 14, 2009 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

faranka

New Head-Fier
Hi lads,

Lately i'm searching for new IEM for my girlflriend. Her budget is about €30 wich is about 40 usd.
This shouldn't be the problem ofcourse. I adviced her the (cheaper) Soundmagic PL30's but she thinks they're ugly (UGLY!!!???).
So now I have to search for another IEM that has the looks :S
biggrin.gif
. Her previous IEM where Skullcandy's but I won't let her buy them again.
Are the JVC Marshmallows any good without the mod (and how hard to do is this mod) or are there better alternatives?
Can you please help me out?

Cheers,

Frank

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Marshmallows are a decent choice for a budget purchase. Without the mod, it is overwhelmingly bassy and it still retains that bassy nature even after the mod, though much better controlled/less boomy. The mod is easy, it's just removing the paper filter from the nozzle and stuffing foam in there.

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 12
Creative EP630, Denon C351 or C551, Koss KSC75 if non IEM is ok.

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 12
he thanks for the quick reply's. The denons are too expensive in the EU (like 50 usd+) and the koss is also a no go because she does want an IEM.
So i'll take a look at the creatives and another look at the JVC's (and ofcouse let her see them
biggrin.gif
).
Any other suggestions or is this is in this pricerange?

Cheers,

Frank

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 12
Dunno whereabouts you are but I know HMV in Dublin have the Sennheiser CX300s in pink at half price at the moment. They're not bad for €20 or whatever... I'm only assuming you're in Ireland because of the good English and quoting your budget in Euros... correct me if I'm wrong.

Also try mymemory.co.uk, they seem to have good value on earphones at the moment too!

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the compliment about my English
biggrin.gif
That's a pity. I'm in The Netherlands so the HMV is no option. I'll sure take a look at the mymemory.co.uk. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Frank

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 12
personal recommendation is that don't buy anything too nice when not necessary. this will either drag her into spending more; your pocket or hers :p

get her something that look nice will suffice; but YMMV.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 12
go with the JVC Aircushions, more comfortable and not bad sounding for something on the cheap IMO.

If she likes pretty check out these
image_na.php

or these
image_na.php

or these
image_na.php

All from Altec Lansing, now how good they sound?? That I can't say
dt880smile.png

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 12
X2 on the NE-7M great phones, but she may not like their looks

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrocyanic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
personal recommendation is that don't buy anything too nice when not necessary. this will either drag her into spending more; your pocket or hers :p

get her something that look nice will suffice; but YMMV.
biggrin.gif

That's probably the best recommendation ever
wink_face.gif
The nuforce is €60 around here so that's double the price she wants to pay. I think I'll just buy her the pl30's, tell her they look marvelous and hopefully she buys it
biggrin.gif
If she likes the looks of the nuforce I can probably jump by with the adittional €30 (here we go bad on your recomendation hydrocyanic) or is there a shop that sends to EU?

Cheers,

Frank

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #12 of 12
The PL30 do look ugly. Have you considered the RE2, for $39? They look good enough, and sound great. Shipping costs may be a bugger, though.

Another possibility: the SHS8000, for less than thirty bucks! They're comfortable, fit securely, look good... but provide very little isolation, so if your girlfriend wants something to ease her commuting, that won't be ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back