Earphones for an active lifestyle
Mar 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dascoo1

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi members,

After extensive research on earphones - I am completely exhausted by the abundance of earphones on the market. Please recommend me some good quality earphones based on my needs. I've been using the stock apple earphones at the moment, but I have completely used them to the fullest since the bass is now distorted. I listen to mostly electronic, electro house, house, hip-hop, progessive, rock, and some jazz and classicals.

First, the most important thing to me is for the earphones to stay in my ear when running, working out at the gym, and cycling. Likewise, they should also be comfortable for 3+ hours of use. Second, it should have a remote with mic, so that I can change songs on the go, and it would be used as my hands-free device while driving as opposed to a bluetooth headset. Third, is the sound quality. So far, I've tried BEATS by dre, and I have to say that the bass is too strong; will eventually give me a headache or leave me permanently deaf. I realize that my music contains a lot of bass, but I prefer better good treble and vocals in my music. Lastly, these earphones should be durable. I treat my earphones pretty well and my stock apple earphones lasted for 2 years. I almost forgot the mention that it would be beneficial to have some noise cancellation capabilities since I'll be wearing earphones outside most the time.

My budget is $200. So far, I've narrowed it down to the Bower & Wilkins C5, mainly because of their "secure loop" system, iphone friendly remote/mic, and the seemingly durable wires.

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 8

1. I hear very good things about the CX -680 they have one choice awards. 

Features
    1. Sennheiser/adidas CX 680 Sports - Offering you the best sound experience and sports performance
    2. Sweat- and water-resistant: ideal for sports
    3. EarFin holding system: secure and comfort fit during workouts
    4. Variety of ear-adapters (S/M/L) included: customize your fit!
    5. High-output ear-canal drivers: energizing sound and high noise insulation
    6. Acoustically closed - blocks outside noise effectively hence more recommended for indoor use
    7. Dupont™ Kevlar® reinforced cable: superior strength and reliability
    8. Short cable for ease of use while running or working out with your player around your neck or on your arm; option of using extension cable with volume control
    9. Practical accessories like cable clip and storage pouch included in the delivery
    10. Ideal for use with all MP3, iPod, iPhone (iPod and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and other countries), miCoach, CD players, mobile phones (3.5mm) and AV systems installed in gyms
    11. 2 year warranty

Delivery Includes
    1. CX 680 earphones
    2. Ear adapters (S/M/L)
    3. EarFins (S/M/L)
    4. Housing covers
    5. Diaphragm guards
    6. Cleaning tool
    7. Extension cable with volume control
    8. Storage pouch
    9. Cable clip

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 8
I think im going to buy both the C5 and the Monster Turbines. They are both at the same price point and if I don't like them I can return them (Apple and Bestbuy).

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm tempted to say SE215 with the mic cable but YMMV on how it sounds. Definitely tough enough to withstand everyday use, as long as you don't do stupid things with them (i.e. stuff them into pockets, cramped bags, etc, without using the carrying case). Give'm a shot though.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I'm tempted to say SE215 with the mic cable but YMMV on how it sounds. Definitely tough enough to withstand everyday use, as long as you don't do stupid things with them (i.e. stuff them into pockets, cramped bags, etc, without using the carrying case). Give'm a shot though.

For the gym the SE215 is fine, but cycling needs a little less isolation. The replaceable cable is good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back