Earphones @ BestBuy
Mar 23, 2012 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bmur

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have a $50 gift card to best buy and I'm looking to buy some new earbuds. I did a bit of research but it's slightly confusing and there doesn't seem to be a clear favorite. I realize BestBuy doesn't have the greatest selection(understatement?), but I'm not picky... I've never owned any quality earbuds. Here's a link to Best Buys earbud selection http://tinyurl.com/7sdwmzz

Based on my limited knowledge here are some possible contenders I've found: A bunch of MEElectronics, a few sennheisers, Klipsch S4(is the S4i really worth $20 more?, and are the S3s any good?..what about S4A), some different Scosche models, Bose IE2, NuForce NE-700x, etymotic MC3

These are just names I read on posts/reviews/whatever, I truly have no experience or real knowledge of whats good. I would like to not spend much money out of pocket, so nothing over $100 please. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to look through the list!

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 20
If you're willing to spend a little extra the Sony MDR-EX310LP's are rather good for the price. They have solid deep bass that's very controlled with decent soundstage and instrument separation. I owned a pair for a few months I was very happy with them. It's probably best to spend a little extra rather than look at the sub $50 range if you can of course.

I'm sure some others may give their suggestions too. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 20
Thanks H20Fidelity, yeah I have no problem spending $20 on top, I'll keep those in mind. I forgot to mention I'll be using mainly my Samsung Galaxy S2(Android). Not sure if that is relevant.

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 20
I'd push up your budget (quite) a bit and ask if they can get a Sennheiser IE7 shipped over. It isn't listed in the selection but if you google around, you can find the Best Buy page for them. Yes, it's $100 but it's a very nice piece according to some. Another option would be to use the $50 gift card to get a $50 amazon card and use it on Amazon instead. The thing with Sennheiser's IE7's that the warranty will let you "upgrade" if they can't replace it with the same model.

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
I'd push up your budget (quite) a bit and ask if they can get a Sennheiser IE7 shipped over. It isn't listed in the selection but if you google around, you can find the Best Buy page for them. Yes, it's $100 but it's a very nice piece according to some. Another option would be to use the $50 gift card to get a $50 amazon card and use it on Amazon instead. The thing with Sennheiser's IE7's that the warranty will let you "upgrade" if they can't replace it with the same model.

This. Do it if possible since Amazon does have stuff for way cheaper than the likes of Best Buy.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 20
Oh man, didn't even realize I could sub it for an amazon, the amount of options I have just exploded... I just spent another 4 hours surfing the internet... and still have no clue what to get, lol. The thing is I can't pick one until I'm sure it's one of the best options and I'm completely satisfied. So I'm just gonna start spitballing..

IE7 $99 @ Best Buy (not sure if I can get them)
ER MC3s ~$60 http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER7-MC3-GREEN-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B004323CHE/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1332640402&sr=1-2
ER HF3 $120 (bit pricey but I'm willing if it's worth it)
Creative Aurvauna In-Ear 3 $109
Atrio MG5 $50 (is this legit?) http://www.amazon.com/Atrio-Future-Sonic-500-040-Earphone/dp/B0050VN4TS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332641674&sr=1-2

Okay, I need to stop for now. I suppose to narrow down the options a mic would be nice to have, but by no means necessary.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:

Has anyone succeed in getting those cuz IE7 is discontinued for a long time?

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 20
Depends on your taste of music from here. Atrios=bassy. Etymotic=analytical with detailed treble. Creative 3 is...Actually, don't ask me, ask the folks hanging around in the Creative Aurvana 3 thread instead. According to what's been said, they're a midrange focused piece. At the ~$100 price point, SE215s and entry level Westones are also in reach.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 20
The Etymotic HF3s DESTROY competitors at their price point while offering stupidly good isolation and a fairly straight-forward IEM that doesnt NEED an amp, I'm in love with mine atm and I really think they are worth the money on top of your gift card if you want an entry to the world of mid/hi-fi. 

*Only complaint I heard about Etymotic Research IEMs is how deep they go into your ear, it can be uncomfortable for some but the majority are fine with them from what I hear, they're actually more comfortable for me than other, more "standard" IEMs.

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 20
Okayyyy, I was leaning towards the Ety's but kept stumbling upon posts saying the bass is weak, and honestly I do love bass. Then I discovered the basshead club - I don't know alot of the models but I'm slowly sifting through. I also found the ThermalTake Isurus which dsnuts said were similiar to CKM99s.

New considerations:
IE7 $99 (I don't think I'll be able to get these but If I can I think they are the best deal in the $100 range, anyone confirm?)
TTe Isurus $32
Monster Turbines $75 (only because that seems like a really good deal)
Brainwavz M4 $54 (another seemingly good deal, although I heard the bass on these was subpar as well)
Shure SE215 $99
Audeo Phonak Perfect Bass $99

and wow I just noticed this..
Klipsch S4 $55 @ amazon or the s4i's $67 (not sure if compatible with my android)

Can someone tell me if these Atrios http://www.amazon.com/Atrio-Future-Sonic-500-040-Earphone/dp/B0050VN4TS/ref=sr_1_5?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1332729929&sr=1-5
are the same as the ones referred to in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
and wow I just noticed this..
Klipsch S4 $55 @ amazon or the s4i's $67 (not sure if compatible with my android)

The Klipsch Image S4i headphones will work with your Android phone with basic call answer/end functionality with the included remote/mic. Obviously, we would recommend the Klipsch Image S4A which is built specifically for Android devices; however, you may be hard pressed to find it at that price level since they are relatively new model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back