Earphone Suggestions
Oct 7, 2007 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mansize_tissue

100+ Head-Fier
EDIT: Yeah, so I just realised I posted this in the wrong sub-forum. Would a mod kindly move it for me please?

I'm in the market for my first real pair of earphones. I've recently bought a new iPod Nano, although I haven't even taken it out of the box yet because my Invisible Shield hasn't arrived for it. However, I'd like some descent earphones for it. I'd probably call myself a bit of a "bass-head", so I want some earphones which suit me in this regard. I'll be coming from a pair of DT 770 Pros and a Corda Move which I use for my home setup, so I don't really want anything too shy in the bass area.

Since these--whatever I end up getting, that is--will only be used portably, I don't want anything too big. This rules out anything other than earphones. In fact, a lot of the Super Fi earphones look a little on the large side, so I don't think I'll be getting any of those, either.

Previously, the only pair of earphones I've used are the stock ear-bud-style 'phones which were bundled with my K750i phone. However, it looks like all of the half-descent and better earphones nowadays are canal-phones. Although I've never tried a pair, I'm guessing this is what I'm going to be looking at. I don't really have a very large budget. Well actually I do, theoretically, but I don't want to spend more than £50 on earphones which are likely to get chucked about, wound up and slid in and out of my pocket numerous times each day.

So I guess I'm looking at earphones such as the Sennheiser CX300, Creative EP630, MylarOne XB, etc.

However, I'm ruling out the Senns because I don't like the asymmetrical cable. So whatever I get I'd like it to have a standard Y-cable. At the moment, I think the XBs are my favourite. There's one thing that concerns me, though: they look a little... long, as if they'll stick out a lot when I'm wearing them. Whereas something like the EP630s look tiny in comparison. Does anybody have a picture of the XBs (or X3s even, because they're very similar) in use? Or can anybody tell me if they do stick out much?

So, with a budget of £50, although ideally I'd like to spend around £30-40, what earphones would you recommend to a bass-head like myself?

Thank you for reading.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a used pair of Shure E4s from head-fi users, they are the best for a relatively lower cost and very good quality

Thank you for the suggestion. Although, me living in the UK might make it difficult. Plus I think I'd rather buy a new pair anyway and have a full warranty, etc.

The size of the XBs is really concerning me. I wish I could find a picture of someone wearing them so I can see how large they look.

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 11
xb_s.jpg

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 11
Any more suggestions?

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 11
I think I might get a pair of Creative EP630s to start off with. Can anybody compare these to the earphones that come with iPods?

One more thing, are any other tips compatible with the EP630s?

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 11
BUMP.

Oct 11, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 11
If you're looking for some affordable yet good quality earphones, the V-moda bass freq made cnet's top 5 list and you can probably get a better deal on them through ebay or Amazon. The only thing really negative I've heard about them is that they're somewhat cheaply made and may not last if you're not careful.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nosleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for some affordable yet good quality earphones, the V-moda bass freq made cnet's top 5 list and you can probably get a better deal on them through ebay or Amazon. The only thing really negative I've heard about them is that they're somewhat cheaply made and may not last if you're not careful.

Thank you for the suggestion, I hadn't even considered these! What kind of cable do they have (J or normal)? Also, how would they compare to the EP630s?

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 11
If you like Beyer like sound, Etymotic ER6/4 may be a good choice for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back