earphone recomendation (for airplane/train)
Mar 16, 2008 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lordmozilla

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

My dad has asked me to have a look into what he could get as earphones for his ipod nano (latest gen).

he currently is using a sennheiser PCX300, which he likes but are abit big for travelling.

He wants earphones that are very good at noise isolation and do not have over emphasized bass - bose style. He is looking in the sub £100 range.

He listens to mostly classical, folk and celtic music if that helps.

I'm going to make him listen to my Ultimate ears Super Fi 3 this weekend to see what he thinks, but I'm sure you guys can give me some nice tips on to what woudl suit him.

I looked at the super.fi 5 but they are bit expensive. (£124 quickly looking at amazon)

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 14
I use the im716 and UM1. The UM1 is extremely comfortable and isolates pretty well. I have worn them for 8 hours without a break. I can wear the im716 for about 2 hours before they start to be uncomfortable, even less during hay fever season. Sound wise, I like the im716 a little better, but because of comfort, I use the UM1 a lot more.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 14
The iM716 can be looped around for less microphonics, but it's a little awkward. I'd go with something that's meant for that; UM1 might be good as might the ER6. With IEMs comfort, fit, and overall practicality is as important as sound quality, especially for travel.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 14
For that price, he should pay a little more and get a pair of the Sleek SA6s, which are small, light, have great isolation, and offer an amazing array of options in terms of modular components. By all means, check them out. They are nothing but high-quality sound, especially for their price (some are rating them higher than the Shure E530 and UE Triple.Fi, which cost $300-$400).

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 14
Hey, I'm looking at these five, which has the best noise isolation?

Shure E3C-N (i know little about shure, these good?)
Westone UM1 (probably what i like most)
Ultimate ears super.fi 3 (I have these with the shure black olive pads so he can try them)
Etymotic ER-6i - (These are supposed to be great and the isolation specs are awesome. So far would probably recommend these the highest to him)
D-Jays (do these have quite alot of bass? how good are they for classical music?)

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 14
get some used Super.Fi 5 Pros. I just did for something like £70 delivered. Worth every penny - fantastic fit and isolation. Good sound.

Mar 21, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get some used Super.Fi 5 Pros. I just did for something like £70 delivered. Worth every penny - fantastic fit and isolation. Good sound.

Crikey! Where did you get them from for that price?

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 14
If you're going to get Shure, go with the newer line like SE210 (not Exc, and especially not E3c, terrible reviews). I don't think the qualities Super.Fi is known for would suit him too well; I'd say Ety is more like it.

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 14
The er6is seem to be the best for your dad as long as he ok with iems.
they will block out a ton of noise and if the tips are uncomfortable, i belive you can use tips off shures and get great 30+ dbs of isolation the etys are gonna be the most suitable in this situation.
Also idk how much yuor budget is but you may be able to get the er4p from etymotic (the step up from the er6i) for better reproduction. Although they fgo for about 160 at headroom
idk how much they are in europe or what teh exchange reate is etc.
My vote is for either ety.

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by OldHooky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crikey! Where did you get them from for that price?

I think it's because they are 'used', as they said just before 'Super-Fi'. I almost missed it as well, wondering where I could get them new for £70 :p

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 14
The tiny Etys are very good with classical, and with Comply or black Shure foam tips, they fit comfortably with very good isolation (the foam ear tips seem to temper some of the brightness ... a plus regarding the brightness is the level of detail achieved). Remember, fit will help comfort, isolation and sound, and the very forgiving Complys and the super-durable balck Shure foamies will help in all of those categories.

Obligatory Future Sonics Atrio M5/M8 reference: They're good ... very good. Physically larger than the Etys (just about everything is, other than the Jays, which he might also like), but they're light and they produce a full, "headphone-like" sound -- not easy to do in an IEM.

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 14
Another vote for the Ety er-6i. Take the time to try out various tips for the best fit. For me I think it took about a month before I found the right (for me) tip but when I did, both comfort and sound quality jumped a level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back