Earphone/IEM for around $100
Mar 4, 2011 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pedro H.

Head-Fier
Hello, guys.
There's been a long time since I last asked for help here... But now it's time to substitute my Audio Technica CKM50.
I've already checked Joker's amazing comparing thread, but it seems there are a lot of options around this price that he still couldn't test. So, what would you recommend for someone who listens to a lot of genres, but mostly lo-fi noise rock/shoegaze/folk/ambient/idm? I'd like something a bit bassy, but not "exploding".
biggrin.gif

Thank you!

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 14
So, any hints?
Joker has said that the XCape, RE0 and A151 are very good options, but he still haven't tested the Ultimate Ears models. Can anyone tell any experiences with the Super.fi 3 and 5? Are they better than those three IEMs? Any other good options adequated to the genres I most listen?
Thank you!

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 14
RE0 =/= bassy
anyways, ihave heard the super.fi 5s/ue 600s, they are my highest end IEM, actually :p I love em, but theyre very mid forward, with an amazing soundtage. I havent heard any of the others, so i cant compare

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I don't think you need to spend 100 dollar, these will do:

Ecci PR401
Xears TD100 II/Xears TD III
Monster Turbine
Fischer Audio Eterna

Zol0ft, isn't the Monster Turbine too bassy? I still don't know any of the other IEMs. Are their signature like the Turbine's too?

Quote:
note, I got the super.fi 5s for $60, for which they were unquestionably good. at $90, I'm not so sure...

Wow, $60? I can't find them for less than $90... isn't it a good price?

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 14
I owned the Super.fi 5 Pro's and still have a pair of Westone UM1's. I'm not sure about the newer 5 pros but mine broke a year after I got them. The plastic piece that's connected to the cord broke off. Although the 5's have a lot of bass they tend to sound a little boxy. Also, they aren't comfortable at all and carry a fair amount of microphonics. The UM1's might be a little too laid back for your liking. I like them because they're super comfortable and carry a more neutral sound considering they are budget IEM's. Why don't you try the new Shure SE215's? I've heard good things.

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
I owned the Super.fi 5 Pro's and still have a pair of Westone UM1's. I'm not sure about the newer 5 pros but mine broke a year after I got them. The plastic piece that's connected to the cord broke off. Although the 5's have a lot of bass they tend to sound a little boxy. Also, they aren't comfortable at all and carry a fair amount of microphonics. The UM1's might be a little too laid back for your liking. I like them because they're super comfortable and carry a more neutral sound considering they are budget IEM's. Why don't you try the new Shure SE215's? I've heard good things.

Oh, I'm not one of those really careful people... So maybe a fragile IEM is not the right one for me. I've read something about the durability of the RE0s too...
I'll read something about the SE215. Thank you for the suggestion!

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 14
Isn't the SE215 too bassy? I've read that it's an improvement on the SE115, which has a really strong bass... I can't say anything since I haven't tested any of them. Could you enlighten my doubt, please? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back