Earpads for vintage headphones?
Jul 7, 2011 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

NamelessPFG

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been lurking this place for a while, making use of the search function when needed. I've even bought myself a nice set of AD700s as a result, thankfully without too much hurt to the wallet. But I don't see much when it comes to vintage earpads in particular; seems that a lot of the replacements are for current headphones. (Every other question I can think of asking is reasonably answered by search results so far.)

I ask because I've got an old Sansui SS-20 lying around, with hardened, stiff pleather pads that clearly aren't supposed to be like that. They're not very comfortable as a result, weight aside. Given how I don't get many results on searches for the SS-20 (especially not compared to other models like the SS-10, SS-80, and especially the SS-100), it doesn't seem to be very popular or revered, but maybe there are new pads out there for all I know. If push comes to shove, I guess I'll just have to learn to make my own.

I'm sure it's not just the SS-20 specifically when it comes to the "no replacement pads" dilemma for vintage headphones; there could be any number of rather under-the-radar headphones that could use new pads. What doesn't help some headphones like the SS-20 is that they use more rectangular pads instead of perfectly circular ones. Regardless, if you have some vintage headphones that could use new pads and you can't find any, feel free to chime in.

Another point of contention would be what material the pads are made out of...I like the velour ones on my AD700s (if that even is velour), but they tend to collect dust and such, and some find them irritable. But I don't want another hardened pleather incident, that's for sure. I also know that there's been more than a few arguments when it comes to acoustic properties of different pads. Any recommendations here?

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 2
Make your own

Right now, aside from typing, I'm working on my own earpads for my T50RP's

It takes a lot of time, a little money, and some patience to make your own pads. But it works out in the end.

3/25 or so headphones I have I've made custom pads for, and out of the ones I use, 3/5 have custom pads. 

fabric shop, a little know how about hand sewing and lots of practice will lead to cheap and nicely made pads.

PM me if you'd like more details.

Other then that, the Sansui is hopeless. You can't find pads for it anywhere, unless you buy one that is new-old stock. Which would be very rare.

I can make you a pair if you need them. I'd need the sizing and some phone contact with you to fit it well so I can make a pair. But I would charge you somewhere around $50. I've made other custom pairs before and sold one for $100 to a good friend. But, it's not worth it to a can like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back