Earpad Mod for Philips 9500s (and others) with pics
Jul 20, 2017 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Cruelhand Luke

Headphoneus Supremus
I swapped out the stock pads on my Philips 9500s for pleathers from the NVX SPT100.
They are a big improvement over the stock pads but I still wanted them to be a little firmer and a bit more distance inside the pads between my ears and the drivers. I have done this mod on various headphones in the past and decided to make a tutorial this time around.

For materials all you need are your headphones, with your preferred pad installed and a pack of these foam hair rollers from the Dollar Store:
1-IMG_20170720_155051_414.jpg
They are little foam tubes with a piece of wire in the middle so you can bend and form them.
Remove the little end pieces
1-IMG_20170720_155315_221.jpg
bend into a C shape and gently work it under the pad between the driver. (It will take some stretching, my pads were on other headphones previously and had stretched quite a bit already, you may want to heat them up under a lamp to make them more pliable.)

1-IMG_20170720_155520_501.jpg
1-IMG_20170720_155652_544.jpg
The open part of the "C" should face the front. Similar to how angled pads are worn, the rear part behind your ear is more padded. This serves 2 functions: angles the driver in a more flat orientation and puts less pressure where the pads rest on the temples. I wear glasses with my headphones and this makes them more comfortable and provides a better seal.
1-IMG_20170720_155957_917.jpg

It's really cheap, easy to do, and reversible. Other people have written about how leather pads change the sound of the 9500s, this mod improves on those changes a little bit. The fit is a little more secure, the seal/clamp is improved somewhat and there is more space inside the pads for my ears. Not massive changes, but worth the effort.

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 13
Does it improve the soundstage?
Yes...but not in terms of width or depth...it doesn't increase the soundstage, but it seems to focus it.
With the original pads I sometimes felt like it was too airy, the music seemed to not necessarily exist in a defined space. The leather pads, with the foam inserts, things seemed to come together a little more, it's a more impactful solid sound, if that makes sense. The soundstage is better defined and it seems to help with the imaging in terms of placing instruments and sounds in a more specific 3d space.

Jul 30, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 13
I tried this mod with some bend-able dentist chair oral suction tube that I had lying around. Bent them into C shape and stuffed them behind the memory foam. Vocal moved further away slightly and bass became a little less punchy. Took them out. Not sure this is due to the difference in material but I guess we have different opinions.

Hamster

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 13
I tried this mod with some bend-able dentist chair oral suction tube that I had lying around. Bent them into C shape and stuffed them behind the memory foam. Vocal moved further away slightly and bass became a little less punchy. Took them out. Not sure this is due to the difference in material but I guess we have different opinions.

Hamster
you were using a totally different type of material. The tubes in this mod are made of cellular foam type (like a pool noodle?) and your's sounds like a hard plastic...it just sort of firms things up a little and creates more space inside the cups.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 13
Nice mod. You can also foam "backer rod", available in a big roll at any hardware store for a few dollars (I wanna say like 15-20ft per roll). They are similar to the hair rollers, minus the wire in the middle. The wire isn't needed - the backer rod stays in place just fine.

The nice thing about the backer rod is that it's available in numerous diameters, so you're not stuck with only 1 size. You can customize the internal volume of the pads, which affects the sound.

1.jpg 2.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 13
Any recommmended size for the backer rod? May pick up a pack tonight

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Nice mod. You can also foam "backer rod", available in a big roll at any hardware store for a few dollars (I wanna say like 15-20ft per roll). They are similar to the hair rollers, minus the wire in the middle. The wire isn't needed - the backer rod stays in place just fine.

The nice thing about the backer rod is that it's available in numerous diameters, so you're not stuck with only 1 size. You can customize the internal volume of the pads, which affects the sound.

good find! I'm in hardware stores constantly and I never noticed that stuff. I imagine it will work a little differently because the hair rollers are hollow so they compress a little more than the backer rod...but that could be preferable, depending on what you want.

Sep 9, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 13
Didn't pick up any tubes but went from the stock pads to pads similar to the HM5 and back to stock and the aftermarket pads definitely change things for the better. I heard an increase in clarity, bass and the stage was more eye level and in front of me rather than nose level in my head. Interesting.

Sep 9, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 13
Didn't pick up any tubes but went from the stock pads to pads similar to the HM5 and back to stock and the aftermarket pads definitely change things for the better. I heard an increase in clarity, bass and the stage was more eye level and in front of me rather than nose level in my head. Interesting.
no doubt, these headphones are better with almost anything but stock pads...
I spend too much wondering if getting the perfect pads and a fantastic amp would be money better spent than getting some hd 6xx or akg 7xx or x2s ....i wish I could get a good fix on where the sweet spot for $200 is...

Sep 9, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 13
no doubt, these headphones are better with almost anything but stock pads...
I spend too much wondering if getting the perfect pads and a fantastic amp would be money better spent than getting some hd 6xx or akg 7xx or x2s ....i wish I could get a good fix on where the sweet spot for $200 is...
Now it kinda makes me want to try the L2 since they are supposed to be so damn good

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 13
Now it kinda makes me want to try the L2 since they are supposed to be so damn good
They do everything the 9500s do...with butter on it.
I'll be honest, on the right tracks (anything needing a wider, more open soundstage) when all modded and amped and whatnot, sometimes, on occasion the 9500s are preferable to the L2s...but for nearly EVERYTHING else, the L2s are superior. There are only a few cases where the L2 isn't the best choice for me purely in terms of SQ...hip hop: Akai 50x , live music and movies; 9500s....for nearly everything else, it's the L2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back