Earning donkey ears in public (Was: Do any PCDPs have optical and analog lines out?)
Jun 29, 2002 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
I just spent yesterday afternoon in Chinatown poring over every Panasonic and Sony PCDP available. Many have optical outs but not one has an analog line out, which means you're at the mercy of some putrid internal headphone amp. Question: Are any PCCD players made currently that have both analog and optical lines out? If so, what are they?

Jun 29, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 8
Actually, a lot of those Sony PCDP's that you looked at probably had a combination jack, which acts as both an optical digital AND analog line out.

Jun 29, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Actually, a lot of those Sony PCDP's that you looked at probably had a combination jack, which acts as both an optical digital AND analog line out.

Stupid Question, Rev. 2: The jacks are labeled optical and are white. On my MD-R, that means purely optical (in) and never analog (in). How can you tell the difference on the outs of PCDPs (or are you saying they're all combination jacks)?

Do the Japanese versions of the Panasonic 590 and 790, and Sony EJ925 and D-EJ1000, have combination jacks? None of the guys at the store could actually tell me, which is why I posted here.

BTW: The D-EJ955 looked sweet in black. I've never seen that before.

Jun 29, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 8
um

yo, scrypt. You plug in a cable with an optical plug, it acts as an optical line out. You plug in a cable with a stereo mini plug, it acts as an analog line out. Simple
biggrin.gif

In a pinch, you can just try plugging in your phones directly into the line out and see if you hear some sound. In my experience you do.

Joe
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 29, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
yo, scrypt. You plug in a cable with an optical plug, it acts as an optical line out. You plug in a cable with a stereo mini plug, it acts as an analog line out. Simple

I understand the idea of a combination plug, Joe. What I didn't understand was that all of these players had them.

And the really embarrassing thing is, I'm a studio musician whose partner just got a vintage Trident board with Neve-Style EQ modules. (Pardon me while I flog my brain and anoint myself with oil.)

BTW: I've been wondering for some time -- does Joe or anyone else know where babies come from?

Jun 29, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 8
Btw, the Sanyo CDP-4300 also has a line/optical out combo jack - and a fairly juicy headphone out, too...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 30, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein

does anyone have pictures of the 1000 in black?

If I succumb to The Disease and procure said item, I'll post a jpeg. I could go either way at this point -- economy or madness. Plus I have to leer at that Sanyo somehow (haven't seen it in Chinatown) mentioned by the Man in Munich. I've forgotten the locus of Little Korea in this city -- it's in the Twenties, I think.

I was just looking at a Rane TTM56 turntable mixer for the studio -- talk about interesting unrealism! You want that thing just because it sounds so incorrect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back