Earmoulds for Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro
Oct 12, 2006 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

awptickes

100+ Head-Fier
Oct 12, 2006 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 13
Interesting....

I've sent them an email (to the custom ear plug email address) to see if they have images of the UE SF5P setup.

If I get a response, I'll post it here.

Oct 13, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 13
Got a response back both from their marketing and support departments...with pics
cool.gif

Here's what they sent me:

UE%205%20Pro%20Mold.JPG

So.....who's gonna bite the bullet and get them made?????

Oct 13, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 13
These certainly look interesting. If they fit on the triple.fi, easy way to UE-10 comfort and sound!

Aditya

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 13
I'm also very curious.....

I could see getting molds for my e500's, the Triple Fi's (when they arrive, and IF they offer them), and the SuperFi 5 Pro's too (for Kari).......

::EDIT::

I'd also like to know the durability of the molds compared to other custom molds in addition to how easy/convenient their impression kit is.......

Has anyone here had any experience with this company??

Oct 13, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 13
I talk to an Audiologist about some customs and there about $70 here, so I say your better off locally and saving some cash.

pink

Oct 14, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 13
I looked into that company for my sf5 pros too, and they seemed pretty helpful, but I decided not to go through with the molds--this is the first picture I've gotten to see of them though, they didn't have any photos of them when I talked to them. I was deterred though because I had UM56's made for my E2c's a couple years ago (pre-headfi), and I thought that the sound bore looked to be about the same size, so I popped them on my super.fi's. Unfortunately the sound was somewhat muffled and I lost a lot of my highs. Now, whether this was as a result of the molds not being specifically designed for the super.fi's, I don't know--although if you look at the UM56's, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of customization other than the size of the sound bore. Anyway, I don't want to dissuade you from getting these molds, because I'm interested in how they are, but just wanted to let you know about my experience.

Oct 14, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
I talk to an Audiologist about some customs and there about $70 here, so I say your better off locally and saving some cash.

pink

Can most audiologists make custom earmolds if provided with the IEM that they will be compatible with?

Aditya

Oct 14, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
Can most audiologists make custom earmolds if provided with the IEM that they will be compatible with?

I don't think, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that an audiologist usually does anything other than take the ear impressions for you. The impression is then sent to a manufacturer of IEMs (or third party companies like this), and they manufacturer a custom fit between your ears and the IEMs in question.

One thing that was hinted at with my emails with these guys was that they had an in depth (read long) process of designing the setup for the SF5Ps. Something to do with the larger sound tubes (as compared to other IEMs).

HTH.

Oct 15, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by drrick
I looked into that company for my sf5 pros too, and they seemed pretty helpful, but I decided not to go through with the molds--this is the first picture I've gotten to see of them though, they didn't have any photos of them when I talked to them. I was deterred though because I had UM56's made for my E2c's a couple years ago (pre-headfi), and I thought that the sound bore looked to be about the same size, so I popped them on my super.fi's. Unfortunately the sound was somewhat muffled and I lost a lot of my highs. Now, whether this was as a result of the molds not being specifically designed for the super.fi's, I don't know--although if you look at the UM56's, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of customization other than the size of the sound bore. Anyway, I don't want to dissuade you from getting these molds, because I'm interested in how they are, but just wanted to let you know about my experience.

Okay well I'm with you up to the point when you say you talked with them about having molds made for your sf5 pro's, but I'm confused when you start talking about UM56's and E2c's because you don't say whether the molds you had made where made by this same company which you then attached to your sf5 pro's and got poor results from.

Was it this same company, or was it a entirely different organisation who made the molds you tried out on your sf5 pro's?

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 13
Ok, sorry, I should have been more clear. The E2c's were made by Shure, and have a sound tube that's about the same diameter as the super.fi's. As far as the molds, UM56's are the custom eartip (they just go into the canal) made for Shure earphones. I had the impressions made by my audiologist, who sent them to Westone to be made (in other words, I did not use this vendor). Now, I could be wrong, but I thought that this vendor also used Westone to create the actual molds--Westone does molds for a lot of different companies. So I took these molds (which were not designed for the super.fi's) and popped them on the super.fi's, since they fit on the end. Now, even if both molds are made by Westone, it still may be irrelevant, because you said this vendor had taken some time to develop molds specifically for the super.fi's. I can't really tell you how they sound, but I can tell you that the molds made for my E2c's sounded sub-par when used on the super.fi's. Hope that helps. If I'm still not being clear, let me know; if there is anything else I can answer, let me know that too. One way or another, if you get the molds, post your impressions. There have been other threads where people have decided to use these guys for molds for the super.fi's, but I've never heard from them after that.

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by drrick
There have been other threads where people have decided to use these guys for molds for the super.fi's, but I've never heard from them after that.

That sounds omnious... people order ear molds for their UE Super-fi Pro's from this here company and then nobody hears from them again... sounds like a plot line from the X Files.

I'm tempted to order, but you can guarentee that if I do I shan't disappear, unless I'm hijacked by one of them rouge greys (etymotic users)
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back