Earmax vs. Earmax Pro
May 13, 2003 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tube_Pete

New Head-Fier
I have an opportunity to buy a used Earmax headphone amplifier. Does anyone know if the standard version of Earmax, i.e. non-pro version, has enough power to drive Sennheiser HD 600 headphones?

I read on their website that Earmax Pro has larger power supply and can drive low-impedance headphones better. I would only use it together with a Philips DVD 963SA source and Sennheiser HD 600 with Equinox replacement cable.

May 13, 2003 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 9
IMO, the standard Earmax is worthless, anemic power not enough for the HD600 or any headphones unless you listen at miniscule volume level. If you want Earmax, have to go with EMP.

Mark

May 13, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 9
With all due respect to markl, I have found out that EarMax (regular version) works like a small gem in my bedroom. I am not sure how loud the others listen to music but for me the volume is more than enough and I haven't heard any notorious distortion at my listening level. Just my $0.02.

Jibra

May 15, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 9
IIRC, the standard earmax is for low-impedance cans and the pro is for high-impedance cans, simple as that.

I forget if EMP does low-impedance as well as the EM.

May 15, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 9
its the other way around. emp = for low-impedence *as well as high*. earmax standard is only reco-ed for high-impedence like hd600.

Apr 22, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
IMO, the standard Earmax is worthless, anemic power not enough for the HD600 or any headphones unless you listen at miniscule volume level. If you want Earmax, have to go with EMP.

Mark

I'm with Mark on this one. The std Earmax is only good if you listen at very low levels. The pro is much better.

Apr 22, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 9
I've had the standard earmax paired with with my HD600s as my 2nd system for about 5 years now. Very happy.

They are capable of driving the HD600s to deafening levels in my experience. Don't try them with Grado's though.

Apr 23, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 9
As I recall the original standard earmax was designed to work with the HD580's. This would suggest it should also work well with the HD600's.

If you can get it cheap enough and it doesn't work for you, just sell it on for what you paid. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back