Earmax vs Earmax Pro
Mar 9, 2006 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

arty

New Head-Fier
Hallo
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking for a headphone amp to go with my new 880s, and have come across an Earmax (non-Pro) for about £150 (~$260). Assuming good condition etc., does the original non-Pro Earmax have any disadvantages over the Pro? I'll only be using it with fairly high-end headphones as far as I know, and I want something that will last me a good few years if possible.

Any opinions welcome. I've read quite a few recommendations for the Earmax Pro & 880 pairing, but very little about the original Earmax, hence this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,

arty

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 9
I think one of them is for high impedence phones and the other for lower impedence. I'm guessing the pro is for the higher since that's where all the 880/EMP reveiws come from.

Anyway, I'm sure someone will answer more thoruoghly, but I think that's the main difference.

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 9
I think both amps will work fine with high imp. phones. The Pro version will also work with low imp. phones as well.

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I think both amps will work fine with high imp. phones. The Pro version will also work with low imp. phones as well.

Bingo.

The EarMax Pro (EMP) has a beefier power supply and different tube set, and was designed to drive both low and high impedance cans. This was, I believe, because the original EarMax struggled with low impedance cans, ie: Grado's.

So, for high z like Senn 580/600/650 or Beyer DT880's, the Earmax is just fine. If you throw Grado's or other low z cans into the requirement, best to go with the EMP

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Bingo.

The EarMax Pro (EMP) has a beefier power supply and different tube set, and was designed to drive both low and high impedance cans. This was, I believe, because the original EarMax struggled with low impedance cans, ie: Grado's.

So, for high z like Senn 580/600/650 or Beyer DT880's, the Earmax is just fine. If you throw Grado's or other low z cans into the requirement, best to go with the EMP

Great. That's pretty much what I wanted to hear. I'm gonna try to go for these as decent headphone amps seem to be a bit thin on the ground here in the UK, and my M-Audio FW410 is struggling a bit with these 880s, even with its dedicated headphone outputs
tongue.gif

arty

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by arty
Great. That's pretty much what I wanted to hear. I'm gonna try to go for these as decent headphone amps seem to be a bit thin on the ground here in the UK, and my M-Audio FW410 is struggling a bit with these 880s, even with its dedicated headphone outputs
tongue.gif

arty

Agile_one is right about the EM and EMP. You could drive Grado's with the EM but it clips at even modest volumes.

But to be on the safer side it's best go with the EMP. It would then give you the option to drive either low or high impedance phones. So if you wanted to drive other phones besides the dt880 then you would have that option as well.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Two reasons that I would not be going with EM, if I were you.

The standard EarMax has no problem driving hi-Z headphone, though, it is worthless, anemic power supply (only 100mW/ch) is not that enough for most of the headphones. If you want EarMax, have to go with EMP (150mW/ch).

You would be very happy with tube rollings on EMP (1 x 12AT7; 2 x 6DJ8 or equivalent). but not the standard one ( 1 x ECC81; 2 x ECC86). See what tubes they use.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu
Two reasons that I would not be going with EM, if I were you.

The standard EarMax has no problem driving hi-Z headphone, though, it is worthless, anemic power supply (only 100mW/ch) is not that enough for most of the headphones. If you want EarMax, have to go with EMP (150mW/ch).

You would be very happy with tube rollings on EMP (1 x 12AT7; 2 x 6DJ8 or equivalent). but not the standard one ( 1 x ECC81; 2 x ECC86). See what tubes they use.
rolleyes.gif

OK, noted. I'll stay on the look-out. The price of this Earmax amp has just increased too so I'm less keen to snap up a bargain.

Expect more 'is this amp any good?' threads as I see more deals appear in the UK
wink.gif

arty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back