earmax pro?
Sep 9, 2001 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

jeremymayf

Head-Fier
What a beauty, somebody convince me not to get this thing! I know it's not the most versitile amp. . . . but. ..but. ..I gotta have it! Seriously, I have read it doesn't match well with the ety 4s's, but has anyone tried it with the 4p's?

Sep 10, 2001 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 23
Well, you've already got a nice lookin' (and nice sounding I'm sure) system, so I say you get the earmax pro, and get some hd600's while you're at it. It'll be a completely different sound from the rs-1's, and then if the ety's don't match up well, you'll still have a great use for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2001 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 23
WEll, gulp...I did it! Went through Audio Advancements--the guy there,Hart, seems cool--I expect a good transaction. Flumpus I completely agree with your reasoning--in fact its the exact argument I gave my girlfriend as she rolled her eyes in dismay
smily_headphones1.gif
After her little act she curtly said "get it" and walked off. So now it looks like i am going to have to pay Jan Meier a visit! YEee hawwww

Sep 11, 2001 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 23
I bought the EarMax Pro about a year ago and i have never looked back. It's sound signiture is pure tube nirvana. Warm and musical, the Pro out performs my other headphone amps in spades.

I don't think you could make a better choice!!

Rick
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2001 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 23
DarkAngel,

I have not rolled the tubes on my Pro, I like the way it sounds stock. I will wait for these tubes to be replaced and then go with the Sylvania Golds that Markl likes so much.

Dimensions (W x D x H) :

3.75" x 3.50" x 4.00"

Looks like a little jewel box and has that mellow glow of tubes in the dark.

Took about 2-3 weeks to recieve the amp once I placed my order.

Rick

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2001 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 23
Phone

Thanks for the info. One last question, what does the power supply look like? I assume there is a remote power supply unit
because of the small size.

Do you feel the Earmax is noticeably superior to the cheaper
Antique Audio MG Head or Musical Fidelity X-Can II?

Sep 13, 2001 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 23
You mean that?
earmax2.jpg

The Earmax is a completely different animal than the lower cost amps. There are no response spikes or dips and the sound is balanced and weighted across the board.

Sep 13, 2001 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 23
Mine was black. I tried some NOS Russian Military 6922's in place of the stocks and they provided a nice increase in resolution while not being any brighter. The 12AT7 made the biggest difference by far. I can attest to the awesome bass of the Sylvania Gold Brand tubes. Get some and strap on your seatbelt.

Sep 14, 2001 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 23
Sum B, just out of curiosity, how much Approx. are the tubes you mentioned? I'll likely stick with the stock tubes at least for a little while, i am sorta blowing my budget with this
smily_headphones1.gif
not to mention hd600's are higher on my to do list than rolling over the tubes.

Sep 14, 2001 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 23
i had a X-Cansv2 prior to the EMP. yes. significant improvement. the x-canv2 was nice, but very dry and lack in dynamic when compared to the EMP. when i got the EMP, it just sounded like music,

the XCv2 was a big improvement than no amp. but the EMP is another big step. EMP excels in all categories when compared to the XCv2

i probably have the same tubes as SumB. Sylvania Gold + russian 6922 from upscale audio. the upgrade was around $100. i'd say run in the old tubes first before you roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back