EarMax Pro versus Woo WA6
Apr 15, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 3
They are both great for what they were designed for and which to get depends on which *YOU* want. you see, its you that has to listen to your gear.

Do you want a smoooth tube monster or a reasonably tight and controlled amp that happens to have tubes?

The first is the earmax and plenty of people like the way it sounds.
The second is the Woo6 and plenty of people like the way it sounds.

The best thing to do is buy both because they sound so different.

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best thing to do is buy both because they sound so different.

Well said. Welcome to Head-fi, Sam! Now you are trapped...

I didn't listen to the WA6, but I do own an Earmax SE. If the Earmax Pro is similar to The Silver-Edition (which I have), it is a stunning amp, because it has a rare way of making the music sound real. It might not be the best in any particular area (soudstage, details, extension,...), but that doesn't really matter because it is voiced extremely well. I think its major strength is that it manages to acheive great textures and tones without sacrificing transparency and airyness. I listened to a lot of headphones amplifier, and the Earmax passes the ultimate test: you can listen to it for hours, and keep liking it more and more.

The SPL Auditor may have better soundstage, the Beta22 may be more resolving, but in the end, there is nothing like the little square-shaped beauty. If I had to pin point the shortcomings of the Earmax, it would be that it doesn't offer the unruffled control (particularly in the bass department) of the best of the best.
It is an amp for music lovers, really.

BTW, it pairs excellently well with Senns.
Hope this will help, but as Nikongod said, nothing replaces your own ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back