Earmax Pro - Simple tube upgrade advice
Jun 27, 2009 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dicy

New Head-Fier
Hello All

I have just purchased an Earmax Pro and am delighted with the sound. I have been itching to get a valve amp for a while and part of the attraction was tube rolling.

I have done a few searches on this and other sites, but as a newcomer to the wonderful world of valves i really dont understand most of it (well i know which tubes i need to get and what nos means - but thats about it)

I'd really appreciate some good recommendations in very simple terms from you guys. I love the warm creamy sound of valves and cannot stand any hint of brightness, but do love detail and musicality.

With that in mind i'd love some suggestions from cheapish (£50 for all 3) to around £150 ish.

I have just ordered the valve set from the tube amp doctor, but i'm not sure if this just contains the standard earmax valves - has anybody ordered this?

Cheers

Rich

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 16
Never ordered them but my understanding is they are the standard tubes that would come supplied with the Earmax from new.

I once emailed the Tube Amp Doctor and asked for advise what alternative tubes may work well in my Earmax. They replied saying that at Mr. Brocksieper's clear advise they can not make any recmommendations other than the spare set he recommends, i.e. the one you have purchased.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 16
Absolutely dicy, it is well worth experimenting with different tubes. IMO the stock tubes are easily bettered. My first observation when I used some Mullard NOS tubes was it added an extra coat of realism to the sound, hard to describe but it was immediatly noticeable difference and for the better.

Since then I have tried various different tubes made by Mullard, Amperex, GE, Philips, RFT, and all are slightly different.

Currently using some Russian 6H23-EB's and an RFT ECC81 and it sounds good indeed.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 16
My favorites are:-

ECC801S Telefunken or Philips ECC81 1959 with 2 x E88CC Telefunken gold pin

Unfortunetely none of these are cheap

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 16
Hi marco

Forgive my high level of idiocy, but could you suggest a few combinations (by name and exact type) of valves for the earmax pro and also some places to get them from.

Also, any idea if its worth replacing the stock hd600 cable and what options are there in the uk?

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 16
I can recommend you what I use with the earmax SE:

2x Telefunken CCA (E88CC) gold pins & 1x 6201 Valvo blue pinched

But indeed you need a lucky shot on ebay to get these package for a decent price ($250+) and in really NOS-like condition.

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 16
I would start by saying I am no expert but from my personal experience and the sound signature you are after I suspect you may well enjoy Mullard tubes, generally quite a warm sound. I also suspect you may like the Russian 6H23-EB tubes which are a variant of the ECC88.

However, my experiences are with the Silver Edition, and if memory serves the Pro is generally a bit lusher sounding in general.

I have purchased tubes from the following 3 suppliers in the UK and each has been great :

Tube-Shop.Com - The Vacuum Tube Superstore - Golden Dragon - Svetlana - PM Guitar Tubes- Ei Elites - Western Electric - JJ Tubes

Watford Valves :: Watford valves is a U.K company that has become one of Europe's leading supliers of tested, graded and guaranteed valves to the professional music industry.

Billington Valves and Tubes of Billingshurst West Sussex England

In terms of cables for the HD600 I like the Cardas, good synergy with the 600's. All round improvement from the stock cable, really opened the sound up and improved resolution and staging. I purchased mine from :

Audiofreaks Home Page

Another great cable is the Stefan Audio Art Equinox which you can get from :

STONEAUDIO UK | hi-fi, home cinema, multi-room, design and installation

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for all the help so far guys - especially Marco.

Keep it coming
beerchug.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 16
I own the Earmax SE last year and enjoying it since but am very curious about the tube rolling thing. I did not venture into it as I'm not sure of the benefit. However this post did help and I may consider the advice given in here. Thanks to all and especailly dicy for the post.

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 16
given OP's budget I would suggest trying ebay or used audio boards -- there's alot of great value out there ... some of my favorites, on the cheap, are the raytheon made baldwin labeled 12ax7a in the center hole and a pair of large halo getter amperex 6922's

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
given OP's budget I would suggest trying ebay or used audio boards -- there's alot of great value out there ... some of my favorites, on the cheap, are the raytheon made baldwin labeled 12ax7a in the center hole and a pair of large halo getter amperex 6922's

bergman2, forgive my ignorance, what affect to the sound does using a 12ax7 as opposed to a 12at7 yeild ?

Are there long term implications in using a 12ax7 in a circuit designed for use with 12at7's ?

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 16
sound is a little juicier (particularly good with lower impedance units or if you feel the t's are lacking, which I did) ... as for long term effect, I have been assured by people with knowledge of the internal circuitry that the earmax pro has no problem with the extra demands/requirements of the x v. t 7's

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 16
bumping this thread with a quesiton. do you guys know any ultra warm,lush, and madly euphonic tubes for the earmax pro?
the best i got so far is a mullard 12AT7WA, and a pair of mullard 6DJ8's (actually one of them had a amperex logo on it, but it was made in the same factory in great britain) and the sound is nice...really nice but not enough warm for me. I need something insanely euphonic and warm. maybe even just replacing the 12AT7 tube for a start will be also good.
any suggestions ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back