earmax pro question...
Oct 23, 2001 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mr_slacker

100+ Head-Fier
only a short question. is there a line out or pre out on this thing? read on headwize that someone used it as a preamp. (btw headwize is down at the moment)

Oct 23, 2001 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 10
To my knowledge there is no line out/pre out on the EMP. I think the person who was using it as a preamp used the 1/4" stereo jack with as the output.

Secondly, if you're looking for a pre combo amp you could:

1. Get a Wheatfield amp
2. Wait for ASL's new amp
3. Get a Headmaster
4. Maybe buy one of headroom's amps (some of them have line outs)

5. McCormack Micro Drive also can be used as a pre I believe...

If you're dying for the tube sound I'd suggest the Wheatfield, try it... or wait for ASL's new amp.

If you don't mind and just want an all round good package I'd personally reommend the Headmaster. I've hard lots of good things about it...

Oct 23, 2001 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 10
a reply in 2 minutes! I love this place...
biggrin.gif

yeah that makes sense. beacuse I saw an EM a couple of weeks ago and I almost certain it only had one pair of rca jacks...

I think I will go down the tube road. But wheatfields only work with 115 VAC (we have 230 here in europe)

Oct 23, 2001 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 10
The EMP has only one set of RCA inputs for line level in. The only output is for the headphone socket - though you could probably use a converter to make the jack output into RCA/Phonos and use the EMP as a pre-amp. But obviously you couldn't use it for headphones then without some manual connecting.

Oct 24, 2001 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 10
but the melos is discontinued, right? and what about european voltages? are there any european distrubutors?

*spelling like a 5 yearold*

Oct 24, 2001 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 10
i believe the person was me.
smily_headphones1.gif

the EMP doesn't have a RCA out. unfortunately, i have a make up a 1/4" to RCA cable to get that to work. but sound does come out, i guess the voltage level is compatible between the EMP and my power amp.

however, with more listening after that evening's adventure, i decided not to use it as a pre-amp. i got much better detail (i literally heard things that i didn't hear from my CDs before), nice soundstage and placement. but the sound was *very* warm.

i was listening to my fav Jazz CD right now (Monk at the "It" club), and it felt like they were playing in during a hot summer afternoon. so warm that i have decleared it unlistenable. i tried swapping the tubes, and it helps somewhat. but not enough.

i wonder why that is so? perhaps it was designed to be a headphone amp so it attenuates higher frequencies? i never noticed it to be warm when i used it with my HD580.

Oct 25, 2001 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 10
yeah, melos is discontinued, but there are dozens being sold if you look hard enough. Oooh, sorry, I forgot about European voltages... not sure about that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back