Earmax Pro owners?
Jan 14, 2002 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
It would be greatly appreciated if any EMP owner could answer the following: Is there any indication on the amp itself as to what it's power requirements are. You know, likw 9V 1500mA or something to that effect. Is it listed on the unit? I'm getting an EMP from Australia, but it comes with the 240V version of the power supply. A new 120V PSU from Audio Advancements is $149.......I'm wondering if I could get a less expensive power supply that would work on 120V. Anyone?

Jan 14, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 9
hi joe,
congrats on getting the EMP, that was the one at Headwize yes? what a deal!
cool.gif
I looked over my unit but couldn't find anything written on it that would help you out. Where the power supply plugs into unit, the adapter is a three pronged male plug. I don't know what's available, but I think you would have a hard time matching it with aftermarket adapters. The other route would be a power converter--I assume 120>240 converters are available? I imagine the converter would be costly as well. I would go with the right adapter from AA. Dust off those HD-600's and enjoy the amp!

Jan 14, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the info, jeremy. Yeah, it was the one advertised at HeadWize. It was a bit of a hassle dealing with someone on the other side of the planet, but I think (hope) it's gonna be worth it. I was hoping for a less expensive solution to trhe power problem, but I kinda knew I would have to get the correct power supply eventually...........might as well do it now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 9
If memory serves me the input to a pro should be 19volts ac.
If so an inexpensive adapter could be bought and you can use the end that comes with the 240 volt transformer no?

Let me see if I can find the specs...

Ah! here it is:

Bandwidth: 4 Hz - 1 MHz, ±3dB
Power Output: 150mW/ch
Input voltage: 18.9 volts <------I don't know if its ac or dc?
Load Impedance: 35 W - 1 KW
Source: any HL audio signal
Tube complement: 1 x AT7; 2 x 6DJ8 )or equivalent)
Input: RCA Jacks
Output: standard 1/4 inch headphone jack
Supply Input: Professional Lemo receptacle
Dimensions: 3.75" W x 3.50" D x 4.00" H
Weight (cast) 15 ounces
Designed By: St. Brocksieper

Find out if its AC or DC input, then get the right voltage regulator and use the end of the old unit.
Should be much cheaper than the $149 AA is asking.
wink.gif

You could verify my ideas over at the DIY section.

Good Luck!

Jan 14, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 9
Joe,
I just located the folder of paperwork that came with my EMP, and unfortunately, there is no mention anywhere in regard to the AC/DC thing. Hmmm, oh well...hope you can find the info you need!

confused.gif

Jan 17, 2002 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 9
There are no specs stated on the PSU of my (German) Brocksieper Pro. But this is what the Audiophile Club UK say on their site:
"Power supply Unit: 235V AC input, 19V AC output (350mA)"

And Themegifts say that the Pro version's PSU provides 18.9V instead of the standard PSU's 19V.

That's all I know. I have never found more detailed specs about the Earmax anywhere else.

Jan 17, 2002 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 9
...and I think perhaps the point of the Audio Advancements power unit is that it is specifically made to power the EMP with audio-grade (or the actual equivalent word which I don't know) power. It has an Audio Advancements metal plate sticker thingie on the bottom which looks all official and stuff, like it was a custom job kinda thing.

It's a pretty sweet AC adapter: the LED is kewl and bright, the plug fits
perfectly with the unit, etc.

Best,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back