Earmax Pro - dead?
Dec 15, 2009 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MrD

Head-Fier
A few hours ago I accidentally hit the switches on my two power sockets while moving some stuff around, and, without thinking, turned them on again a few minutes later (so I can't even use the excuse of having toggled them quickly off and on).

Ever since then, all I've got out of my EMP is an extremely loud mains hum, regardless of whether any inputs are connected. I've tried reinstating the stock valves - all three had previously been replaced, so none remain from when the incident happened - and relocating the power supply to an isolated socket away from all interference, but to no avail. I assume swapping out the adapter won't help, as it powers up in the usual manner with the valves briefly glowing with full intensity before fading again, at which point the loud buzzing begins.

That's all I can think to do, so I can only assume that it's had it. Is there anything left to try, or have I likely fried something on the inside? Or failing that, is there any chance that anyone with appropriate expertise might be able to take it on as a repair job and salvage something (for themselves, unless they're willing to offer their services to me) from it?

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 4
Gave this another go last night to see if time had healed it but obviously it was exactly the same. I prised the base off to take a look and nothing seemed amiss, not that I'd have a clue what to look out for. Certainly the jack seems to be making full contact, and that was the only idea I had.

Is there nobody out there who has any ideas whatsoever about this? I'm sure it's a waste of time as it does seem to power on correctly, but just to make sure I'd like to try a different power supply, so if there's anyone out there in the UK who's willing to lend/sell theirs I would greatly appreciate it.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 4
i'm unsure how turning an amp off and on again is supposed to damage an amp
confused.gif
especially a few minutes later. isnt that part of the regular functionality of the amp?? or any amp for that matter? its hard to know what happened with the info provided, plus i really know nothing about tubes, it is certainlt a bit confusing though as that seems like a normal thing one would do sometimes; like for instance if you wanted to locate it to a different part of the room or change the tubes.

anyway I wish you luck, i'm sure someone with more tube knowledge will pop in soon

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 4
In retrospect it's a bit of a stretch to think it could have been that, unless it dislikes having power restored to it just a few seconds after it was taken away, given that its power-up cycle is more like 30 seconds. With the bad weather over here we've had numerous momentary power cuts since which would've had exactly the same effect.

The info I've given you is all I have, when I went away for the weekend it worked and the first time I tried it after returning it didn't. Not much to go on but there was certainly no tampering and until then it'd always worked perfectly. More likely that it was just on its way out and something pushed it over the edge. As you say, maybe someone who knows about valves will come along and indicate whether the loud buzzing is symptomatic of anything in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back