Earmax Pro Anniversary edition and Tuberolling.
Feb 9, 2005 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Blainethepain

100+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering if any the Head-Fi EMP Anniversary owners have rolled its tubes. I have owned the amp for about 4 months and I have been very happy with it, but would now like to try some tuberolling. If any of you have some advice on tubes for it I would be grateful. Cheers.

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 7
Amperex 7308's these are the high end version of the 6dj8's or 6922. Try and get the military spec ones as these are considered the best. If you need any more info PM me.

Feb 10, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Very few Head-Fi'ers seem to have the Anniversary edition, but much have been written on tuberolling the EMP and you should find many suggestions if you do a search on Head-Fi.

Feb 10, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Amperex 7308's these are the high end version of the 6dj8's or 6922. Try and get the military spec ones as these are considered the best. If you need any more info PM me.

Amperex 7308 are not the hi end version. They just happened to passed a more stringent selection criteria than the 6922s. Military spec ones maybe more rugged and tolerant towards abuse/harsh conditions, but they are not neccessarily better sounding. Check JoeS' tube lore in Audio Asylum's FAQ section for information about various tubes in this tube family.

My personal preference is toward Holland-made Amperexes. I have various Amperex tubes, from bugle boy, orange globe, 7308 white label, to 6922 white label/D getter, in my systems.

A better way to approach this would be to determine what your current system's sound characteristics are and determine what you want to change/improve and see (from JoeS' description of various tubes) which tube would be the best fit. Someone else might have a really bright CD player, so they use one set of tubes to tame the top. Your system might just be opposite, so when you try the same set of tubes, it will made your system sound very dull.

The best way would be to try them all in your system. But that would be very expensive. I just happened to collect a lot of this type of tubes through various means. I have tested about 15 different tubes in my preamp and my observation is very similar to JoeS' results, except I don't care too much for the Telefunkens in my system.

Feb 12, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 7
Centre position Sylvania gold brand 6201.Outer positions telefunken ECC88 or E88CC

Feb 12, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 7
Telefunken has a great rep, but not all of their tubes are all that. Tip: if a Telefunken tube sells for cheap, its not one of the tubes that helped create the name.

The true Holland Amperexs, OTH, are great tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back