Earmax Anniversary
Oct 13, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #16 of 46
Good, so you need update your profile...
tongue.gif

For what you remeber of the HP-4 what can you say about the comparison with the EARMAX? Do you consider the two amps in the same class?

Best!
Nicola

Oct 13, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #17 of 46
Nik the HP4 is under the 'USED TO HAVE' section in my profile.

It's to early to compare the Anniversary as I've only had it two days.

Very briefly the Earmax Pro has a warmer sound than the HP4.The HP4 is more neutral with a larger soundstage

Oct 14, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #18 of 46
With what tubes? EMP is rather warm with stock tubes, a little too much for me. You can also get a reduction of warmth and "tubyness" and increased detail with tube rings (I have Herbie's).
Would be interesting with a comparison between Earmax Pro and Anniversary with the same tubes as well as to the Singlepower. Of course, understand that you need more time for burn-in and listening.

Oct 16, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders
With what tubes? EMP is rather warm with stock tubes, a little too much for me. You can also get a reduction of warmth and "tubyness" and increased detail with tube rings (I have Herbie's).
Would be interesting with a comparison between Earmax Pro and Anniversary with the same tubes as well as to the Singlepower. Of course, understand that you need more time for burn-in and listening.

Do you know which tube are able to use in both EMP and singlepower amp? Or all EMP tube are able to use in singlepower amp?

Oct 16, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
Nik the HP4 is under the 'USED TO HAVE' section in my profile.

It's to early to compare the Anniversary as I've only had it two days.

Very briefly the Earmax Pro has a warmer sound than the HP4.The HP4 is more neutral with a larger soundstage

Oh! You are right, used...

At my point of listen (after the comparison between the RP010 and the EAR HP4) it's hard for me to imagine a warmer sound than the HP4, and even hard to define "neutral" this beautifull amp... (Point of view).

Best!
Nicola

Oct 16, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncledan
Do you know which tube are able to use in both EMP and singlepower amp? Or all EMP tube are able to use in singlepower amp?

Singlepower amps use different tubes.

The Singlepower PPX3 uses 6CG7's.The other Singlepowers use 6SN7's (although it is possible to use ECC32,ECC33 and ECC34).

The EMP and Anniversary use ECC81/12AT7 in the centre position and ECC88/6DJ8 in the outer positions.

Oct 16, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders
Would be interesting with a comparison between Earmax Pro and Anniversary with the same tubes as well as to the Singlepower.

Testing the EMP and Anniversary with the same tubes will be difficult. no direct A-B and the full sound of the tubes.. very difficult comparison but one that I'll envy
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
Testing the EMP and Anniversary with the same tubes will be difficult. no direct A-B and the full sound of the tubes.. very difficult comparison but one that I'll envy
biggrin.gif

Unless you happen to have some matched quads like me
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #24 of 46
well, how is it?
biggrin.gif

Switched on the EMP today.. can't believe i still haven't got around to properly tube-roll all my tubes yet, guess content is the word.

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
Although I have the SDS-T coming in the next few weeks my curiosity about the Earmax Anniversary wasn't satisfied so I now have an Anniversary on sale or return.I'll have about 2-3 weeks to try it before deciding to keep or return. [...] More later...

So, what's the verdict? Keep or return?

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
So, what's the verdict? Keep or return?

Probably keep.I'll write up some views when I have more time.

Oct 27, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #27 of 46
There's a lot to be gained from trying different tubes in the Earmax....I have one of the original(non-Pro)models,which uses ECC86 tubes as the outputs,and an ECC81 as the input/driver.
Like you,I'd used the supplied tubes,and replacements from the UK distributor(Audiophile club),but also did some shopping around,and sourced some NOS Mullards,and also some Telefunken ECC86's.
AFAIK,the Audiophile club tubes are NOS Mullards,which tend to have a warm,but slightly muffled sound,albeit with good levels of detail,but NOS military stock ECC81's plus Telefunken ECC86's make it a much clearer amp,with markedly increased punch and drive,especially in the bass,which is much improved.
I know the comments re ECC86's only apply to the Earmax Standard,but it's well worth trying a few other NOS tubes,and if you're interested,the following suppliers may be of use.

www.colomor.demon.co.uk
www.chelmervalve.co.uk (you may have to ask for their NOS stock levels).

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
can you give some short impressions before
wink.gif
?

No need, there's too little parts in that small house and it has a color, booh!.
Just by looking at it I know it sounds bad.

Trust me, I'm an expert wit much experience.
wink.gif

Aside from this extremely bad joke, I have to ask the same as boodi, can you hurry up we need to know, now!
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #30 of 46
You might want to try a couple of Dutch Bugle Boys for output, and the Sylvania Gold Brand for the driver. I'm not sure what you got for stock tubes, but the Phillips that came with mine severely bottlenecked the sound of that little amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back