Early K500 Impressions
Mar 24, 2009 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

doping panda

100+ Head-Fier
My K500 arrived last Saturday. Needless to say, I was very excited when the mail lady walked to my door with my package in her hands. Unfortunately, I have yet to spend much time with them because recently my listening has been mostly blues and classic rock as opposed to my standard diet of classical and jazz with a dash of alternative spice for some oomph; so, my Sextetts have rarely left the company of my head - perhaps it's withdrawal from leaving them at home during finals week. Even with the limited amount of head time though, I can confidently say these headphones are something special.

Let's talk aesthetics, comfort, and etc. first before we get to the real meaty stuff. The seller sent my K500 in pristine condition – the only cosmetic flaw was some yellow gunk on the outside of the driver casing which I scraped off. The design looks a little funky, but the color choices are very nice and classy so the design remains unobtrusive. The comfort is spectacular. The headband exerts almost no pressure, making the pads rest lightly on my head. It feels really nice, but it slips if I start lying down or moving my head quickly. Although my Senn is comfortable, my K500 makes it feel like a death grip. The single entry cable adds to the comfort since compared to dual entry I can more easily move around or lie down, a major benefit for me since I do most of my listening next to my bed both at home and at the dorms. The pads are soft, but a tad itchy. Build quality is a bit suspect though. The durability of the self-adjusting headband feels questionable. One standout aspect of the build quality though is the all metal plug. With these items discussed already, we can start talking about what really matters, sound quality.

Before I relay my impressions, I feel I must inform you of three things. First, I have little experience with audio gear. I have only been lurking here about two mouths and only have had decent cans for about three or four weeks now. Second, the other headphones I own are the Soundmagic PL-30, the Sextetts MP, and the HD580 with HD600 grills. Third, I am listening out of my portable and my laptop right now. I do plan on upgrading my source and buying an amp in the near future, but I currently lack the money because I spent it all on headphones. Once I head back to school, I'll be applying for a job for this purpose. Go ahead, you can commence ridiculing me now
frown.gif

Even without an amp and a good source, the K500 really impressed me. They even impressed me more than my HD580, my first nice can. The presentation is airy and clear. The tone is natural, light, and delicate. The tonal balance is excellent. The detail is high. I really love my K500.

As stated earlier, the K500 presents sound as airy, clear, and "out of head". Its airiness is striking. The openness of the K500 may partly cause this airiness; when I first wore it, my head felt breezier than not having any cans on, for some bizarre and inexplicable reason. The K500 sounds clear and images precisely. It presents sound in an "out of head" fashion. Its soundstage expands far horizontally. Not only that, its sound is ambient. So ambient is the sound that I feel that it not only comes from a certain location as it does with my HD580, but that it sometimes also overlaps and reverberates around the soundstage to gently envelop my ears – an amazing experience. One odd thing about the presentation is that sometimes the left driver exerts far more sound pressure than the right one even when it shouldn't, creating an unnatural stereo balance. The relative position of the drivers to my head seems to cause it since this effect disappeared when I readjusted the position of the drivers.

The general tone of the K500 sounds light and delicate. I consider this trait a double edged sword. The lightness and delicacy proves delightful for female vocals - listening to Diana Krall and Ella Fitzgerald was quite pleasurable, more so than usual. However, these qualities result in an inability to produce the vital heft and power for some recordings; for example, Claudio Arrau's playing does not have the weight and sobriety it should, especially on a piece like the Appassionata which I reserve as HD580 territory. Although it lacks weight for some recordings, the K500 sounds natural and organic.

Complementing this naturalness is high detail and excellent tonal balance. The K500 is more detailed than my HD580 even on my portable and laptop. Once I upgrade to a better source and amp, its detail retrieval will surely improve vastly. These headphones reveal how Joe Pass picks the strings of his guitar and how Ella fluctuates her voice among other countless miniature revelations. From low to high, the sound is even with the exception of the deepest bass and the highest treble. The excellent balance creates a capable sonic coherency. After listening to my K500, the mid-bass hump of my HD580 is clearly apparent and at times a bit distracting. For example, although K500 is too light and delicate for Claudio Arrau's rendition of the Appassionata, it is musically coherent; the HD580, however, sounds heavy as it should on this piece, but its mid-bass hump requires a readjustment period to prevent it from detracting from my enjoyment of the recording. The only flaw in tonal balance is that the treble and the bass roll off early and do not extend far in the case of the bass. Although the treble extends to 20 kHz, it rolls off before 16 kHz while the bass goes down to about 40hz, but roll off begins at the around 100hz or so at the lowest. The high and low extension do not heavily affect musical enjoyment since I don't believe most music reaches that high or low, but it's definitely still a problem.

The treble before the roll off point however possesses excellent clarity and energy. A good example illustrating this is the trumpets in "All the Things You Are" from Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Jerome Kern Songbook. With my K500, the trumpets are energetic and clear with excellent microdynamics. With the HD580, the trumpets seem about as energetic at a glance, but that energy is due to the heftier tone and better macrodynamics. The HD580 holds its own when the trumpets blare at full force, but further listening reveals the HD580 sounds duller than the K500 does.

The K500 bass is notoriously light in impact, but strong in clarity, texture, and tightness. In acoustic music, the bass never felt lacking. Because of the myth that the K500 and K501 have no bass, it managed to pleasantly surprise me with its impact which proves enough for acoustic music. In a recording of Baden Powell playing "Manha De Carnival", the K500 presents the lower notes of the guitar with enough presence as to not be overpowered by the rest of the sound spectrum and does it with enough detail that the low notes can be heard clearly even when they are regulated to their usual supporting role in music. Of course, the bass is insufficient for amplified music, but hell that's what the Sextetts for.

Now there is only one part of the sound left to discus, the oh so sweet mids. Bar none, the K500 has the most beautiful mids I've had the pleasure of experiencing in my young head-fi life. This can is worth buying if for nothing else than the mids. So sweet, smooth, and intimate are they, yet they are also so lively and detailed. These mids somehow manage to be so engaging and intimate despite the enormous size of the soundstage.
beerchug.gif
to AKG and its engineers.

To sum it up, I adore my K500. I admit it is certainly flawed. I cannot deny the lack of bass and treble extension, the relatively light bass impact capability, slightly weaker macrodynamics than my HD580, and a lack of necessary heft for some recordings. However, every headphone needs to be compromised in some way, and I believe the AKG engineers made the right compromises with the K500. Although my head-fi experience is undoubtedly overshadowed by that of countless others, I've yet to have the pleasure of listening to anything with more beautiful mids, a wider soundstage, and a more ambient presentation than my K500.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 20
Sorry about that, guys. That ended up being way longer than I thought it would.

Hit list for the people who don't wanna read that thing.
  1. Airy
  2. Really Wide Soundstage
  3. Ambient
  4. Light and delicate tone
  5. Sounds natural and organic
  6. Nice tonal balance
  7. Bass Extension kinda average
  8. Bass rolls off pretty early
  9. Treble rolls off between 12kHz and 16kHZ
  10. Treble has good energy
  11. Bass is tight and detailed
  12. Bass impact is pretty weak. A no-go for bass heads
  13. Sweet Mids
  14. I think it's awesome so you should too.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 20
Most people easily get excited at new stuff. So I suggest that you'd better give K500s an extensive listening before making any comments. Anyway, nice work.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viktor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most people easily get easily excited at new stuff. So I suggest that you'd better give K500s an extensive listening before making any comments.

I actually didn't like my K500 much at first. Took my probably a good 6-10 hours of listening before I started to warm up to it. I actually didn't really start to appreciate it until I was listening to it while I was writing this. The original write up was going to be much less positive, but it just started to jive with me sometime between the time I started writing and the time I ended writing so I had to rewrite a good portion of it.

I do realize that people get excited about new stuff pretty easily though, so you should take my impressions with a grain of salt. I also stated I have little experience with this hobby in my original post so that's sorta a big sign to take what I said with some skepticism and assume that I'm some green kid who doesn't know anything about audio which I supposed I more or less am. However, it's break and I have nothing to do so I wrote these impressions to kill some time. Plus, REB wanted to know my experiences with the K500.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm it seems that the K500 and K240DF has a lot in common.

They might. You can ask Uncle Erik if you want to find out. He doesn't have a K500, but he has a K501 which supposedly sounds very similar to the K500 and he has a K240DF. He likes both of them.

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 20
I wouldn't say the K400-501 series sounds close to the K240DF at all. If I recall correctly (I don't have a K400 series headphone any more) the DF sounds much more "tactile" and present, while the K400 is more spacious and has much less weight on lower mids and lows.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe you wrote a review this long and didn't include pictures!

Was I supposed to have pics? I guess I'll put them up tomorrow.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say the K400-501 series sounds close to the K240DF at all. If I recall correctly (I don't have a K400 series headphone any more) the DF sounds much more "tactile" and present, while the K400 is more spacious and has much less weight on lower mids and lows.

You're right, they don't sound similar in their overall presentation. The K240 is very punchy and quite fast with an almost non-existent soundstage. The K500/501 is almost the opposite in those aspects. But there are similarities. Both phones are not the most detailed phones you will ever encounter (although they can go a long way with the right amplification), both will not reproduce the lowest lows or highest highs, but they do have the unique quality of sounding exceptionally natural and they both have that gloriously flowing AKG midrange.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right, they don't sound similar in their overall presentation. The K240 is very punchy and quite fast with an almost non-existent soundstage. The K500/501 is almost the opposite in those aspects. But there are similarities. Both phones are not the most detailed phones you will ever encounter (although they can go a long way with the right amplification), both will not reproduce the lowest lows or highest highs, but they do have the unique quality of sounding exceptionally natural and they both have that gloriously flowing AKG midrange.

Are you sure you are talking about the K240 DF? Because they have a huge sounstage. It's one of their great virtues.

Also, I think K-400/500 shares similarities with the DF.
Detailed, liquid midrange, light but punchy bass, and clear highs.
The K-400 sounds more delicate IMO, the DF has more weight to the sound.

You can add more bottom and presence to the K400/401/500 sound, with K601 earpads.

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #13 of 20
Thanks for the great write-up. The k500 is a very special headphone. Enjoy!

As for the k240-k400-k500 similarities: I found all three really quite different, with the k400 a fun phone with great bass extension and the k500 incredibly balanced along the tonal spectrum. All three are clearly akg phones, though, great mids, great detail, well-defined bass (even if there's not very much of it sometimes) and good treble extension that never gets sibilant.

I support tiemen's recommendation for the k601 pads: they really make a positive difference.

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure you are talking about the K240 DF? Because they have a huge sounstage. It's one of their great virtues.

I based that mainly on my experience with the K240 Sextett. Is the DF really that different in soundstage? Hard to imagine since it's almost the same 'phone.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I based that mainly on my experience with the K240 Sextett. Is the DF really that different in soundstage? Hard to imagine since it's almost the same 'phone.

Yes. I owned both the Sextett MP and the DF.
They have indeed a different soundsignature.
But I think the Sextett has a decent soundstage as well, at least mine had.
They may look almost the same, but internal they are quite different from each other (drivers etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back