Earlpug Attenuators
Apr 8, 2007 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Devon8822

100+ Head-Fier
I foung a great site with a bunch of earplugs for musicians and "concert goers". They sell earplugs that ;lower volume but dont muffle sound quality. Which one of these is the best? They are all under 20 bucks except for one custom one that is like 200... so forget that one. Has anyone tried these, whihc ones are the best? thanks

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/nasopl.html

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 12
The Hearos High Fidelity's are simply rebranded Ety ER20's. The back of the package even has the Ety logo. They're exactly the same.

And either one of these are the ones to get. Search this forum for ER20 and you'll find tons of recommendations.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 12
The Etys are the way to go unless you want to get custom plugs made. I use my older Ety 16s fairly regularly.

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 12
Is it actually possible to swap the tips on the ER20 like you do with the IEMs? I'm thinking about getting a pair but the stories about tri-flange penetration scare me a little bit
eek.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #10 of 12
One second, I'll give it a shot....

Edit: I would say no. The tips are a lot softer on the ER20's than the normal tri-flanges you get with ER-4P's and I can't seem to pull them out of plug body. They are also white, as opposed to gray and are close to being almost translucent. I pulled with a little more force than you use on ER-4Ps and they don't budge. They don't rotate in the ear plug housing like you would expect if they were removable.

The ER20's are really great BTW. I've been to a few clubs and concerts with them on and love it. I got my girlfriend a pair too, and she also loves them.

There's nothing to be worried about with penetration. There's no way they'll ever get close to your eardrums as it is simply physically impossible to put them that deep. The flanges are permanently attached to the clear plastic housing that is the attenuator, so you'll never "lose" them in your ear. Can you put your pinkie deep in your ear canal past the first joint from the nail and touch your ear drum? There's nothing to worry about, and it's a lot better to be a little uncomfortable then to lose some precious sensitivity to certain frequencies. I'd rather sacrifice $12 and maybe some discomfort (i actually find them comfortable) for a lifetime of accurate hearing. We are, after all, Head-Files. Plus I've found that you capture more details in concerts with them in.

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for that, guys. rb67 - I appreciate the effort; my only concern is the comfort and not eardrum damage, I used the term 'penetration' in my earlier post more for comedic effect
wink.gif

In the near future I'm going to borrow my friend's modded tri-flanges to get an idea of how it feels like in my ears, and will probably make a decision based on that.

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #12 of 12
They're comfortable. When I first tried them I stuck them in like an IEM. It was painful in one ear, uncomfortable in the other. It also made my ears itch. Then I figured it out. Just stick it in enough to get a seal, then pull it out to adjust the least amount of depth, keeping that seal. Works just as well, but much more comfortable. Also, they're softer than IEM triflanges due to the fact that there's no plastic stem inside of them. The whole triflange piece of it is rubber. The plastic is simply attatched to the bottom of the rubber triflange, rather than inside of it also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back