Earbuds...
Dec 21, 2004 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hischan

New Head-Fier
Hey. First off, I am very impressed by the quality of this forum. I've learned so much about headphones, amps, etc...
However, I am trying to find out which earbuds I should buy. I haven't found any direct comparisions so which one do you think I should purchase:

1. Sony MDR-E888 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-CM5
2. Sony MDR-EX71 or Sony MDR-EX51 (they're about the same from what I've learned in the forums) vs. Sharp HP-MD33S vs. Panasonic RP-HJE50
3. In canal vs. Normal buds. Is one specifically better than the other?

And I own a Rio carbon and encode my music in either 90kbps wma or 128 kbps mp3. If I get really good headphones, would it be unsuitable for portable audio use? Would I need to encode in higher bitrates, etc...

thanks.

Dec 21, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 7
As for in canal phones, they cut out a lot of what's going on around you, which can be good or bad. If you need to hear around you, it may not be best to go the canal route. However, if you need or prefer isolation it's best to get canal phones. They make it easier to concentrate on the music.

Dec 21, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Eww...low bitrates! To answer that question, yes, your bit rate is low enough to greatly reduce the audio quality. Better headphones might only reveal how terrible those files sound, not make them sound better...you really should take the time to reencode them...try 320 aac...it that's too much 224 or at lowest 192 will be okay. Don't use mp3 if you don't have to.

Dec 21, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 7
MP3/AAC is fine, just be sure to encode at 192 kbps or above...otherwise, on certain tracks you might notice the low bitrate.
frown.gif

I would purchase the Sharps over the Sonys for the in-ear buds...I personally do not know enough about the 888s and ATH-CM5s to recommend one over the other...I haven't tried either. Checkout the headphone review forum for Max's comments on the CM5.

Jan 1, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 7
Hey. First off, I am very impressed by the quality of this forum. I've learned so much about headphones, amps, etc...
However, I am trying to find out which earbuds I should buy. I haven't found any direct comparisions so which one do you think I should purchase:

1. Sony MDR-E888 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-CM5
2. Sony MDR-EX71 or Sony MDR-EX51 (they're about the same from what I've learned in the forums) vs. Sharp HP-MD33S vs. Panasonic RP-HJE50
3. In canal vs. Normal buds. Is one specifically better than the other?

And I own a Rio carbon and encode my music in either 90kbps wma or 128 kbps mp3. If I get really good headphones, would it be unsuitable for portable audio use? Would I need to encode in higher bitrates, etc...

thanks.
I think it is a good choice for you,only $16.39,please click:
https://www.amazon.com/Zenfeel-Head...sr=1-126&keywords=double+driver+unit+earphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back