Earbuds (yes earbuds) up to $100?
Nov 30, 2008 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dopeboyfresh

100+ Head-Fier
I have the JBL Reference 220 but I'm kind of giving up on IEMs since they are kinda awkward to share with people and the microphonics are really pissing me off. (Even with wrapping over the ear)

What are some nice earbud choices? I know the Yuins exist but can you guys recommend some other options outside of Yuin?

Also, I'll be going to Hong Kong this Christmas and this store has the OK3 available for around $70 and the PK2 at around $50

This $59 deal at Head-Direct is looking very nice and it comes with a Fiio Amp as well but I don't have a credit card and my parents are anti-headphones.

What are some non-Yuin earbuds that I can consider that go up to $100? I mainly listen to hip hop and rock.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 8
Have you tried using a clip to counter against the microphonics?
Have you considered carrying an extra pair of cheap sony buds in case you need to share?

I really can't give any suggestions for earbuds other than the generic sony's, but I hope you reconsider
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 8
I just bit the bullet and ordered the Yuin OK2/3 and PK2 from Head-Direct. I ended up getting them because I couldn't decide which one to get, so I'll have to listen to all of them to decide which one I'll keep. Anyway, Head-Direct does not seem to take credit cards directly - they go via Paypal (at least I did), and Paypal allows you multiple forms of payment. If you can use Paypal for anything, you should be able to use that to order from them.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Do you know of the Sennheiser MX500's for under $20???

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 8
I have the MX500's - bought them for $17. I'm on my third pair currently, but after hearing my friend's PX100, I can't stand it anymore.
frown.gif

It sounds too muddy.

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 8
JBL 220's are notorious for that cord rub, due to the cloth cord. It seems to really exaggerate the sound of the cord scraping your shirt. The cord also makes it awkward to wrap around the back of the ears (at least in my case).

What I've done is bought a pair of Shure SE110. They're made for the ear wrap thing ( at least sort of, the cord is a bit finicky but it's starting to bend right). And I've enjoyed them a lot more.

I agree that it is awkward to share IEMs, what with nasty ear wax (clean your ears) and all. But I find them to be the better bet when traveling cause buds don't always stay in.

I just feel like if you're going to go for buds you might as well buy a pair of PX100 or some other kind of over ear phones since the isolation is about the same.

I agree with the option of just carrying a pair of sony buds or something if sharing ever comes up. And trying out a clip for the rub or buying a pair of IEMs with a better cord so that microphonics isn't so bad.

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 8
well in that price range i really like my E888s

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 8
My earphones are pretty clean and I don't have any earwax problems but it's just awkward sharing them. The other person keeps trying to turn the volume up because they don't know how to put them on.

Those new NuForce IEMs look quite nice and I think I'll snag a pair of those as my portable solution seeing as I missed out on the SoundMagics. I'll look at getting a MX500 as my earbud solution... The store doesn't seem to carry the PK3 anymore. Whatever. I think I'll go for a NuForce IEM. The MX500 is a nice cheapo bud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back