Earbuds With Good Bass?
Dec 13, 2004 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been reevaluating my plans of buying a pair of Sony D66's, so now I'm looking for earbud phones with good bass. Full-sized phones don't work with my hair (Grado SR-60 + long hair = geek mullet), so I don't know why I considered them in the first place. Koss' KSC-35 is my fallback choice right now, but I bought Sony's Q55 clip-ons over a year ago and they're uncomfortable for listening longer than 15 minutes, so I'd really prefer earbuds. I need something with no isolation, since even Sony EX51's isolate too much at school. Price limit is $100, though I could possibly pull out the funds for the $130 CM7's (don't ask where I'd pull the funds out from, you don't wanna know).

So, are there any earbuds with good bass that cost $100 or less?

Dec 13, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 8
I feel the CM7ti are without peer in the earbud department. Their bass is decent, but it is their soundstaging, and the sense of "bigness" they convey. I'm very pleased with mine. I have not used an earbud that holds a candle to them in any way, so I do not have any comparisons.

Dec 13, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 8
Well, after a bit more searching, it seems like the CM7's are the best earbuds available (not counting the CM7ti's). So, taking into account a $100 price difference and earbuds being preferable for comfort reasons, are they the better choice than the KSC-35? I'm having a hard time investing in any clip-on phones after buying the Q55's, even though they're pretty damn heavy compared to the competition.

Dec 13, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 8
I just got the ATH-cm5's and i had the sony mdr-e888's, both of which never really fit that well in my ears (too big for my ears, fell out really easily). both sounded very similar, with very clear highs and mids, but very crap in the bass department. I'm pretty sure that's because i couldn't get a great fit, but earbuds just don't do bass well by nature. When you press them into isolation (i.e. shove them into your ears) the bass sounds much better, but a fit like that will never happen with regular earbuds. I like a fair amount of bass, and i want to wear earbuds for their portability and ease of use (under a winter hat!), so i feel your issue. I also don't want to spend $100 on earbuds. I'm thinking this problem can only be solved by finding comfortable earclips (like the ksc-35's) or getting used to canalphones.
lmk if you find the ath-cm7 better in the bass dept, but i'm not sure if they will ever give as nice a bass as in ear phones or koss sportclips, just because of the way they fit in an ear.

Dec 13, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 8
Well, a pair of blue CM7's is on its way. I'll make sure to post a review after I've put some time into listening to them. Wee, now I'm in the Christmas spirit!
etysmile.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 8
Just out of curiosity, is it normal for AudioCubes to take awhile to actually send it out? My order's been at "processing" since Monday, and I'm not sure whether I should send an e-mail to them or not.

Dec 18, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 8
Dunno, when I ordered my CM7ti's (10/2/04) they were shipped out by 10/6/04... and 10/2 was a Saturday, so I doubt anything really started rolling till Monday. They're probably quite a bit busier this time of the year though, so that might be holding things up. I'd see what Monday brings first, and then perhaps send them an e-mail if it doesn't ship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back