Earbuds? What's the big deal?
Nov 27, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #31 of 34
I use my PK2's mostly while i'm in the office, as I need to hear my deskphone ring and people hollering my name. That, and I don't have a set of closed cans. My colleagues would comment that they can't concentrate when I use my SR-80, as they leak a lot (death metal, which can be unbearable for a lot of people).
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry - No. This is about totalitarian IEM-ship.

I think that if you don't use IEMs for too many hours on end, you are safe; and safer than with earbuds, too: the volume is relatively lower, as in the isolation that IEMs provide, you can hear your music more easily.

Oh! That's a nasty, evil and despotic IEM reign!!
biggrin.gif

Well... the doctor told me that it wasn't good for me to use IEM; because the ears are sealed, and so, the humidity gets retained inside and that can lead to some infections... or maybe to a cholesteatoma
biggrin.gif

He also told me that ears need to receive some air from the outside to work adequately... but I guess that if you use IEM's for short period of times that won't be a problem...
Another important thing is that lot of people don't use IEM's at safe levels; since they sound so great at almost any volume level (like my Triple.Fi's), and people don't get aware of the high sound pressure level, they go ahead and crank the volume up, "just to fully enjoy their music"
I want to add that saying that you "need IEM's for protecting your hearing because with earbuds you need to crank the volume all the way up!" is one of the worst excuses that you can use. Don't get me wrong, I loved the isolation factor, but to enjoy your music it's not neccesary to have it really loud. You can keep it low with earbuds and still be able to enjoy it... just don't expect to hear every tiny detail
wink.gif

I am a student, and I don't really need the isolation factor always; sometimes a mate want to tell me something at the bus, and with IEM's it's a pain to keep pulling them out and then in again just to hear him. When walking at the streets, you also need to be aware of your surroundings, and IEM's aren't any good for that. Finally, after lot of time traveling with them, I fell in the conclusion that I can't justify going everywhere with a set of $400 IEM's. You won't get to hear all of your music while on the go, because you aren't able to fully concentrate on it. Also, the fact that they are relatively delicate means you must be very careful with them. I think that I would also be very sad if someone comes and steal my IEM's... it's something so easy and common nowadays... just imagine watching/getting aware that someone took your really expensive IEM's... that's sad
frown.gif

I love the fact that some highend earbuds sound like a decent set of full sized cans, and that means that I don't need to carry those big fellas if I am going to visit a friend, or if I am at the library. Their relatively cheap look also helps to prevent some mugging acts
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If my ears weren't so troublesome with earbuds, I'd probably invest in some decent ones, because I like to hear what's going on around me (unless I'm studying or on the bus), but unfortunately my right ear can't keep earbuds in.

That's somewhat my case; my right ear hole is bigger than the left one, because I had a surgery last year, due to a cholesteatoma. However, the Yuin OK1's fit nicely at both ears and remain there while moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back