Earbuds/IEMs for Working Out
Apr 24, 2012 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Culverin

100+ Head-Fier
heya,

I've been out of the headphone game for a couple years now.
I used to a jog a lot 5+ km a few times a week.  It's about time I started that again.

I used to use my Westone UM2 with custom acrylic tips for running.  Tried some Sony silicone tipped ear buds, but I got microphonic noise and they didn't really fit securely during running, I had to keep pushing them back in for a decent seal.
I'm currently using Earsonic SM3 as my transit IEMs, however, the cable is a bit stiffer and the custom silicon tips I'm using don't fit onto the IEMs quite as snug and tend to fall off.

Would you guys have some suggestions on some earbuds or IEMs I could look into getting for running?

Musts:
- Sub $100
- Have either loop behind the ears with a neck thingy (like the UM2) or have something else to hold them to me securely like a headband or moldable ear clips.  I've noticed that this also helps to cut down on the microphonics.

Would be nice:
- Weather resistance (I live in rainy vancouver and would like to take these out of the gym too).
- Isolation?  Would be nice to have a backup to my SM3 when I do transit to a beach day or something.

Sound Profile:
I like my stuff to be warmer, with a bit of sparkle.
I guess I'm a bit of a bass head, despite what people have said, I do not feel the UM2 to be very bass heavy at all.  I use a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990 at home, I like how warm they sound.  I like the amount of bass they have, but wouldn't mind if it was just was just a touch tighter.  I find they are pretty good at the highs, maybe a bit sibilant.  Sibilance isn't good because I'm already turning up my headphones more when running to have the bass and mids shine through.  The heavy "thump" of the bass keeps me fueled when I run.

As you can see in my sig, I use a pair of KSC-75 for snowboarding.  Wouldn't mind a bit more bass/warmth than those too.

I will be feeding these from a Cowon D2, playing a mixture of 256 kbps and up, as well as a healthy dose of FLACs.

If you guys have any suggestions at all, it would be most appreciated.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 2
I'm not really sure about the price, but Sennheiser makes some sports series earphones. You can check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back