earbuds for travel: better than MX500?
Aug 24, 2005 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
im looking for a super portable pair of earbuds that i can throw in a backpack and take anywhere, without need for an amp.

ive read great things about the mx500. it is a great deal at $20. but is there something better out there? in the $40 range?

i dont want canalphones as they scare me, and i want something that wont be fatiguing so i can listen for hours on a long bus ride or whatever

thanks
biggrin.gif

whitney

Aug 24, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 33
There is a new design MX550. Maybe you like to give it a try
smily_headphones1.gif

PX100 is also portable. but it......
lambda.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 33
The new AKG earbuds are another option...but personally I'll just stick with the stock ipod earbuds. You won't notice huge differences going from the stock earbuds to the mx500.

Aug 24, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
earbuds for travel: better than MX500?

Unlikely... If you don't have any major complains about the MX500 I don't think there are better earbuds for you.

Edit: Ah I didn't notice you don't have a pair of MX500's yet. Get one
biggrin.gif
(MX400 will be okay too if you don't need the volume control), MX550 will have less bass.

Aug 24, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
The new AKG earbuds are another option...but personally I'll just stick with the stock ipod earbuds. You won't notice huge differences going from the stock earbuds to the mx500.

I did, however, notice the difference between the stock iPod earbuds and the MX500 though.
Especially with the Radioshack foamies, the MX500's lower end improves a lot more.

Then of course, YMMV.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

are you kidding? night and day difference. the mx500s are just all around better, and better by a lot

Aug 24, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
im looking for a super portable pair of earbuds that i can throw in a backpack and take anywhere, without need for an amp.

ive read great things about the mx500. it is a great deal at $20. but is there something better out there? in the $40 range?

i dont want canalphones as they scare me, and i want something that wont be fatiguing so i can listen for hours on a long bus ride or whatever

thanks
biggrin.gif

whitney

What about canal phones scares you? The reason I ask this is that I think they would suit your situation better than a pair of ear buds. Ear buds allow too much noise in and on a long bus ride that would be very fatiguing. Some canal phones like the Shure E2 or the Super.Fi 5 Pros would seal at the entrance to your ear canal and give you some isolation to reduce fatigue. The other nice thing about either is that they stay put a lot better than an ear bud. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Aug 24, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
are you kidding? night and day difference. the mx500s are just all around better, and better by a lot

I agree! The ipod buds are muddy, lack definition, and are just... yuck. The mx500s are a big improvement over the ipod buds... but, they are rather large and can be hard to fit. Someone mentioned a new designed mx500. Have a link to its description?

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 33
I was pretty impressed with the sony E888 I heard. It was heavily modified though to improve bass response.

Garrett

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 33
I will have to check those out. Using my px200s in the gym is kind of a pain. I have been averse to sony cans after owning one of the orignal mdr-v6s. Very heavy bass, plus they fell apart rather quickly. I'll see what folks say around here.

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
What about canal phones scares you?

well honestly i only tried them once. but i just couldnt get myself to stick that thing so far into my ear (the earphone
biggrin.gif
) Im the same way with Q-tips though. I wont use them. Its worse than that gagging feeling whe the doctor checks you for strep throat.

does noone else feel weird about it? maybe i should try again....

Im also just kind of creeped out by a speaker being that close to my ear drums. I would rather at least let the sound bounce around through the ear canal first.

the isolation you're talking about sounds good though. And im sure they sound a whole lot better than the MX500. Anyone wanna let me demo a pair, any pair?
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #14 of 33
yes, the isolation is amazing. i upgraded from MX500s to ER6i and damn...SQ is just amazingly better and the isolation kicks ass. someone pissing you off? pop them in, play some music, its like as if you hit a "mute" button

Aug 24, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

kramer, what mods did you do to improve the bass?

The mod is here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back