Earbuds for iPod - noise isolating and comfy
Apr 6, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #16 of 19
Thank you all so much for such great responses. I shall indeed give these some time. I tried getting a better seal with the tri-flanges and it did make a difference. So I guess they're not dodgy after all (yes, I am indeed a native of the British Isles -- Scotland, to be precise).

And thank you for the link to the manual. Most helpful!

Happy listening.

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 19
Glad to hear it Cams! I thought you might find that the sound improves. Honestly I find that my ER6is get better every day...

A nice thought.

Still I am waiting for my sensas to come any day now....
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #18 of 19
No bass response is indeed symptomatic of having a bad seal. However, you can have a bad seal and still have very good isolation. Personally, I couldn't get a good seal with the tri-flanges period. Headroom (www.headphone.com) has a guide to inserting them with the tri-flanges properly, but even following those steps, I couldn't get the right seal. Foamies are definitely working out nicely, though.

I'd visit Etymotic's site, and look at the different tips they have avaibale there - there are a lot more types than what came with your Ety's. I'd try the super-sized orange foamies, and the small pointed foamies as well. Experiment, and see what gives you the best seal. When you get it right, the sound IS good. Very, very good.

This isn't rocket science, but it is a precision instrument, and it takes some time to get the hang of using it properly.

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #19 of 19
I'm using my ER4Ps right now; you definately get better bass with the right seal - the long you use them in a session the easier this is (6 hours on a Scottish hillside...
wink.gif
). The other thing usually said is that if you use them with a dedicated headphone amp you get even better bass - my attempts with a diy one so far certainly bear this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back