Earbuds for an old man
Dec 16, 2009 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

h41cyon

New Head-Fier
I want to get my old man (he's actually only 64) some nice earbuds for Christmas. Most of the time he uses a Zune 8Gb and I've just bought him a Fiio E5. I'm not totally banking on him using the Fiio, but for only 20 bucks, it was worth a try.

I'm looking to spend ~100 bucks. He really gets off on nice clear sounding music. Genres he enjoys: rock, classic rock, jazz, ambient chillout.

After looking through these forums, my interest was peaked by the RE0s, but I can't seem to get through to customer support to see if they will make it by Christmas and I don't see any options for faster shipping through Head-Direct.

If I can't get those, I was leaning in the direction of the Klipsch S4.

Any suggestions?

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 16
Can't speak for the RE0's, I'd love a pair myself, but I do have the S4's. I'm using the S4's right now - I'm actually considering doing my first review on them. I think they're good for rock, possibly better for classic rock. I've only listened to a couple of jazz tracks with the S4, but if Eric Clapton is any indication, they should be good.

Not 100% sure I'd recommend them for a 64 year old,though. I initially had some fit problems with mine, and there's someone else on the boards in the same boat that I was.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't speak for the RE0's, I'd love a pair myself, but I do have the S4's. I'm using the S4's right now - I'm actually considering doing my first review on them. I think they're good for rock, possibly better for classic rock. I've only listened to a couple of jazz tracks with the S4, but if Eric Clapton is any indication, they should be good.

Not 100% sure I'd recommend them for a 64 year old,though. I initially had some fit problems with mine, and there's someone else on the boards in the same boat that I was.

From reading around, I've actually picked up that the S4 should be more comfortable than the RE0. I'd love to get another opinion on this.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 16
Actually the RE0 are potentially more user-friendly than the S4 because the straight housing makes them easy to grip for insertion/removal.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 16
I only have re0s, so can't compare them.

They aren't uncomfortable, although they could be better.

If you're in the USA, it's likely you'll be able to get em by christmas if you order now. If you're not, it's marginal, but I wouldn't bank on it. US orders come from a warehouse in the US, whereas the rest come from china and take their time.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
clarity difference between S4 and RE0 is vast, just vast

Yea, I would love to get some RE0, but getting them before Christmas is a must. I'd had to have to get my dad something inferior just because of a couple of days of shipping time.

Anybody have any comments about how long it takes to get things from Head-Direct?

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by disgruntleddave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only have re0s, so can't compare them.

They aren't uncomfortable, although they could be better.

If you're in the USA, it's likely you'll be able to get em by christmas if you order now. If you're not, it's marginal, but I wouldn't bank on it. US orders come from a warehouse in the US, whereas the rest come from china and take their time.

I just bought the RE0s in hopes they will make it on time. It looks like they have a 30 day return policy, so even if disaster strikes, I could always get my money back. I'll keep you guys posted incase any one else is interested in getting one for the holiday season and wants to know about shipping time.

I'm getting it shipped to Wisconsin (53189) btw.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 16
You should be fine. I've ordered mine from Canada and it shipped within 5-6 days from China. I believe their US shipment is coming straight out of New York so you might even receive them within a 2 or 3 days. Always experienced quite good costumer service from them as well.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 16
I'm not sure where you are located. but if your in the US. the shipping from Head-Direct will be very fast.

They ship from NYC and I got mine across the country in Vegas in 3 days. if you order now they will ALMOST for sure get there before x-mas. but international might be different... I see your in Wisconsin. I bet they'll get there Friday or Monday.

Email them through the CS link on there website and they usually respond pretty fast.

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is is hearing?

Not any worse than the average 64 year old. I mean, he can hear me just fine. Can he hear 16khz like a 18 year old? Probably not.

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by h41cyon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From reading around, I've actually picked up that the S4 should be more comfortable than the RE0. I'd love to get another opinion on this.

I wasn't saying they were uncomfortable - I can wear them for two or maybe three hours at a time comfortably. It's just that I know of two cases where getting them to seal/sit properly in the ear was a challenge.

It's pretty much universally agreed, though, that the RE0 is clearer and flatter in response so if that's what you're looking for, go for it. After all, UPS and FedEx tend to run a few days behind this time of year.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the title of this thread, but that is not the reason I am here. I hope you get a great headphone. The S4 and Re0 are both recommended.

Well, I ended up buying both. The S4's got there first, so those were the first pair my dad put on and listened to. The fact that he had already gotten a day of listening on the S4's before the the RE0's arrived may have contributed to some bias.

He ended up going with the Klipsch S4's.

I listened to both and the S4's, especially when only being driven by the Zune that he has, provided a lot more presence in the lower frequency range. They had a bigger, more warm feeling sound stage, as compared to the RE0's.

Both the S4 and the RE0 were much MUCH more detailed in the higher end, as compared to the crap he was listening to before (some cheap pair). I did notice that the RE0 sounded more vibrant in the upper frequencies where the S4 were a little less revealing.

Keep in mind, this test was done with out properly burning these in.

So now I've taken the RE0's and I"m debating whether or not I want to keep them. I'm coming from some Sennheiser CX300's, which I loved for the bass and cheap price, but they don't hold a candle to these RE0's.

The only thing is, I'm a bit of a basshead. The Head Direct RE0's do NOT have anywhere near the punch the CX300s and the Klipsch Image S4's have.

SLightly OT, does anyone know what I could try out that has the nice detailed highs of the RE0s with more emphasis on the lower end, something a basshead would enjoy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back