Earbuds for 60$?
Aug 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

RocketPenguin

New Head-Fier
I would like to purchase a set of 'buds for myself, but do not know what i should purchase. (Don't want to take my Audio Technica M50s to school...) I listen to a lot of electric bassy music, but also to classical/orchestra. I enjoy crisp bass, doesn't need to be overdone, but as long as sound quality isn't lost, the more the better. Needs to be fairly rugged and able to withstand certain amount of abuse (Taking in and out of pockets, pulled out of ears time to time by cord, etc) If it has a mic, that would be sweet but isn't important. If it has "Dr. Dre" "Beats" "Skullcandy" or anything of the sort in the title, no need to even recommend. Beyond that, don't care too much about a specific brand, as long as they meet my requirements, they should work. 60$ Is the highest i would like to go, but if they might be 65$ or so, recommend them anyway.

BTW, what is the difference between In Ear Phones and In Ear Monitors?

EDIT: By Earbuds, i actually meant Earphones (In Ear/Gell type earphone/bud)

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 14
In ear monitors have a flat frequency responce and are often custom made to fit your ear. All in-ear monitors are in-ear earphones, but not all in-ear earphones are in-ear monitors.

OSTRY KC06 are sturdy and fall right in your price range. Probably not the best for really bass-heavy music, but it does still have presence and it doesn't distort the mids or highs in any way.

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 14
Looks wonderful, and fits price range. Depending on replies, i may (Or if a better recommendation/one that i like more is written, then not) just get these.

What do you mean by custom made? Still slightly confused (Never understood it...) Are they also for listening for average music, or are they for something for else? By flat frequency, you mean the sound isn't as vibrant, right?

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 14
They're made for use in a studio. So yeah, they won't enhance the bass or smooth the treble. By custom, I mean people will mold them to fit their ears perfectly. People who like flat audio will stills use them for regular litening, however, and not all monitors are custom.

Edit: I may have had a small stroke.

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 14
  I would like to purchase a set of 'buds for myself, but do not know what i should purchase. (Don't want to take my Audio Technica M50s to school...) I listen to a lot of electric bassy music, but also to classical/orchestra. I enjoy crisp bass, doesn't need to be overdone, but as long as sound quality isn't lost, the more the better. Needs to be fairly rugged and able to withstand certain amount of abuse (Taking in and out of pockets, pulled out of ears time to time by cord, etc) If it has a mic, that would be sweet but isn't important. If it has "Dr. Dre" "Beats" "Skullcandy" or anything of the sort in the title, no need to even recommend. Beyond that, don't care too much about a specific brand, as long as they meet my requirements, they should work. 60$ Is the highest i would like to go, but if they might be 65$ or so, recommend them anyway.

BTW, what is the difference between In Ear Phones and In Ear Monitors?

I don't specialize in earphones and the like, but would like to wish you well in your journey! Years ago, I got a model in your price range, but they don't sound anywhere near as good as my headphones, and they fall out of my ears no matter what I try.

Here is a link describing the differences between earbuds, earphones, and in-ear monitors.

What do you mean by custom made? Still slightly confused (Never understood it...) Are they also for listening for average music, or are they for something for else? By flat frequency, you mean the sound isn't as vibrant, right?

CIEMs (custom in-ear monitors) are molded to fit you (and only you) precisely. You have to go to an audiologist, have a mold made from the shape of your ear canal, then send it in to the CIEM manufacturer.

A flat frequency response (described as neutral, balanced, and so on) more or less gives you what is present in the recording - nothing more, nothing less. However, this is only one factor. Some neutral headphones may sound boring to you, while others (while being just as neutral) may sound more exciting. You don't need an inaccurate and colored headphone to get a vibrant sound, though it can help.

In ear monitors have a flat frequency responce

Only some in-ear monitors have a flat frequency response; in fact, most don't.

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 14
 Originally posted by Music Alchemist

I don't specialize in earphones and the like, but would like to wish you well in your journey! Years ago, I got a model in your price range, but they don't sound anywhere near as good as my headphones, and they fall out of my ears no matter what I try.

Reason why i am only willing to spend 60$, is because i have NEVER had a pair of buds last me more than four years, and thats stretching it. I Use earbuds when i am on the move, or have to have them for either short periods of time, or for when i am in a crowd. I love my headphones, but when going places, i prefer keeping such high price (for me they are) at home. Earbuds can be lost rather easily (Never actually have lost a pair, but its rather easy to do) and because of the abuse mine go through, they dont last long. Its more for passing the time and listening to music than enjoying quality, high end music. For that reason, i find spending a large sum of money on them a bad idea, and would like to stick to the cheaper versions.

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 14
  Reason why i am only willing to spend 60$, is because i have NEVER had a pair of buds last me more than four years, and thats stretching it. I Use earbuds when i am on the move, or have to have them for either short periods of time, or for when i am in a crowd. I love my headphones, but when going places, i prefer keeping such high price (for me they are) at home. Earbuds can be lost rather easily (Never actually have lost a pair, but its rather easy to do) and because of the abuse mine go through, they dont last long. Its more for passing the time and listening to music than enjoying quality, high end music. For that reason, i find spending a large sum of money on them a bad idea, and would like to stick to the cheaper versions.

hehe...I may end up giving my earphones away to a friend, since I never use them.

Here is a great thread comparing over 300 IEMs in all price ranges.

The cool thing about the better IEMs is that they are more durable and you can replace the cable.

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 14
I'm kinda new so you'll have to get someone else to give specifics but I have the kilpsch s4 and they might be about what you want. I don't like much bass at all so I don't love them but you might. You can also pick them up pretty cheap a lot of the time.

A friend of mine recently got the Audiotechnica ckm500 and he loves them. I haven't listened to them so I can't say for sure but they seem recommended around here

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 14
  They have been ordered. A thanks to all of those who helped/recommended!

That was quick! Feel free to post a review in the future.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back