earbuds and canalphones
Mar 16, 2004 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

eMpAtHy

100+ Head-Fier
i was looking to buy a er6 and i heard that if you walk with canalphones the wiresounds get really bad and i was wondering if it was really that bad. i need earbuds/canalphones that i will be able to use for daily use..ie walking, sitting at a desk, sitting at school..if canalphones have these problems would i just be better off with a mx500 since they are cheaper and i dont think they have wire sounds..if the er6's or any canalphones didnt work for me i was wondering how much a small amp would be something the size of an altoid box or even smaller..and is it worth it to amp canal and earbuds??..but can someone also suggest headphones for me...i'd perfer open because closed headphones are just too big. i like neutral sounds. my budget is 100 dollars. thanks.

Mar 16, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 13
The microphonics on the Etys aren't as big a deal as you might think, ands the newest ER-4's have a braided cord, which helps. Still, there will always be some of the conditions you describe, but the isolation they provide is superior to just about anything else.

The MX400/500's will be very disappointing compared to the ER-4P's or ER-6's.

Mar 16, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 13
ER-6 never really had much problem with microphonics, none of the Shure canalphones do... Ety ER-4P was improved much after they replaced the cable with a lighter, braided cable. So microphonic is really not an issue anymore with any of the canalphones.

The thing you will have to get used to, is the vibration from your own steps when you walk around. The tight seal with the canalphones will actually transfer the impact of your feet landing on the ground back to you, as well with chewing and other activities like that. This is called occlusion effect, and there's no way around it with anything that's plugged into your ear that deeply.

However, this effect might be annoying at first, after using it for a while your brain starts to completely disregard it. I don't even notice it anymore.

Mar 17, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 13
okay cool. thanks for letting me know guys..i dont think i can afford the er4's so im probably going to get the er6's
anybody have a link for the cheapest er6's in the U.S. of A. ?
and im a newbie..but uhh do people amp canalphones?

Mar 17, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 13
All headphones could benefit from some type of amping, the amount of benefit depends on the headphone's original potential.

You can amp your ER-6 if you so choose to do
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 13
Going ghetto cheap w/o isolation + maybe a more comfortable = earbuds

More expensive route (disregarding the sony ex series) = canalphones

The cord on the ER6's seem to be a bit thin just FYI. Search the forums or on google for more info about prices. You can also try Shure e2c's but they are probably not as comfortable as Er6's.

Mar 17, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 13
Keep your eyes peeled on the forsale, there is almost always a CMOY or MINT on there--but, FWIW, on a phone like the ER6, I wouldn't personally think an amp is worth it--but thats just my taste, when I go portable I just want my player and my cans.

Mar 18, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 13
oh okay..well my cousin has a friend he knows at school that makes amps and hes an audiphile so lets see if he can get me a amp for like 20 dollars or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back