Earbud Tip Exchange: Trade your tips
Nov 28, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bazmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair large eartips that I can part with. They're from my Vibes, but they fit the CX300's, Sony's IEM's, and UE's. Send me a SASE and I'll send 'em out.

I think anyone asking for eartips and not offering them should offer some sort of $ or at the very least a SASE to make it easier on the person sending you eartips. Nothing worse than a thread of people just asking to be given other people's stuff (especially on a site like this; if you can afford IEM's, you can afford the tips).

Totally agree, if one can spend anywhere from $50 to $1000+ on IEM's...they can spend $10-$20 on tips!!! The idea of trading tips just seems a bit petty to me!

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by leqin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really - are you sure - I mean we've got one person on here who in the short time I've been around must have spent well over $2000 on various pieces of equipment and yet in a thread all about ear wax stated quite openly that he uses cotton ear buds to clean his ears out... and one of the main safety warnings, which he must have read, on all cotton ear bud containers is to the effect 'do not use to clean the inner ear' - ie: stick it into your ear canal, because the danger of injury that could cause irreparable permenant damage is just to easy.

Search for that same thread and you'll read time after time people who do the same thing, so I think you need to revise your idea that people around here are more sensible. Spending lots of money and buying lots of headphones bears absolutely no relation on intelligence - even the bacteria in your left ear , if introduced into your right ear, can cause serious infection that can lead to permenant damage.

Oh and the 2 guys I know who got infected this way had sanitized the ear tips, but they still got infected so even cleaning is no guarantee that biological matter is completely removed.

Unless they used ethylene oxide, they didn't completely sterilize those tips. The order of preference for sterilization as far as laboratories are concerned is the following: autoclave, dry heat, ethylene oxide. Since I presume most tips wouldn't stand up to heat, you'd have to settle for the third choice.

Since most people don't have access to industrial sterilization equipment, you can't kill all the organisms. I guess I'm just annoyed that you're saying it's impossible to completely kill off the organisms on your tips...it is possible, just not particularly feasible for anyone who doesn't work in a lab or medical facility.

Quite frankly, home sanitization methods are probably suffient...I'm prepared to bet that your earbuds accumulate new microorganisms from your surroundings when they're not in your ears, so there's always the risk of introducing something into your ears even if no one else has used your tips.

Just be glad that you probably can't get infected with prions through your ears...now that would be some truly scary stuff.

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #19 of 20
I have essentially an entire package of Shure medium black olives that I will send for free to anyone who sends me a SASE with sufficient postage to cover the return. They're a tiny bit too small for my ears, and I prefer modified triflanges (cut to biflange). Email me directly and I will give you my address. I don't know exactly what they weigh, but it is an entire package minus one olive, so you can figure it out.

Andrew
folpe.andrew@mayo.edu

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #20 of 20
man, I sure hope we're talking about brand new ones here. Used foamies? good lord. To me, this looks like:

"The official head-fi USED CONDOM trade"

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back