Earbud thread
Jul 21, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #31 of 92
Etymotic ER6i-B canalphones continued...

These babies are amazing at high volume levels. I accidentally turned the volume up on my iAudio 7 because I have the top buttons set for advance/reverse with the hold switch enabled. I thought I was advancing through a song but the kold wasn't on. Anyway, the volume went super high but there wasn't a hint of distortion in the music. The quality of sound was better, as well.

I'm sold on these Etys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #32 of 92
Seems everyone has forgotten about the Sony MDR-E888 buds, the standard in Fonotopia style for years. I don't know if they are even in production these days, but they are sort of old-school with wonderful mids and an ideal balance between bass and treble. I have owned 4 pairs of these with a couple in storage.

I am no fan of these newer bud styles with angled drivers, they just are not comfortable in my ears. I tried the EX90's, sounded nice (not as good as the 888's) but were painful to wear.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #33 of 92
Klipsch Custom-1 canaphones

These are most likely rebadged Sennheiser IE7s. They certainly sound a lot like a Senn but these are the first of this kind of Senn I've worn. They are a little difficult to get right in the ear, making each phone feel the same in each ear. But after several changes of the sleeves, I think I've come up with an acceptable fit.

Sound wise, they aren't bad. They have a straight forward, a bit warm and dry sounding quality with plenty of bass. There's certainly nothing extraordinary sounding about them but they do produce a somewhat high fidelity sound.

I can't say I prefer these over the UE3s or Etys 6s but they are comfortable and easy to listen too. However, they do sound fatiguing as though I might get tired of them after a while. I don't see that with the UE3s or Ety 6s. I don't even see that with my 'Moda Vibes, JBL Reference 220s or JVCs.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #34 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Klipsch Custom-1 canaphones

These are most likely rebadged Sennheiser IE7s. They certainly sound a lot like a Senn but these are the first of this kind of Senn I've worn.

Interesting theory, lewislink, but the Klipsch existed first and uses armatures while the Sennheiser is dynamic drivers. The housing are different also though somewhat similar in appearance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems everyone has forgotten about the Sony MDR-E888 buds, the standard in Fonotopia style for years. I don't know if they are even in production these days, but they are sort of old-school with wonderful mids and an ideal balance between bass and treble. I have owned 4 pairs of these with a couple in storage.

I am no fan of these newer bud styles with angled drivers, they just are not comfortable in my ears. I tried the EX90's, sounded nice (not as good as the 888's) but were painful to wear.

Hey, Superbaldguy! Your posts have been few and far between lately. Reminds me that I should check up on the T-board more than I do(almost never these days). Still going strong with my NF610 and Sharp SG-11.

Anyway, earbuds have come along way and the 888 is second tier. You should maybe grab a Crossroads HR1 or HR2 when they come out. The Yuins are good but overpriced. The OK1's, PK1's, HR-1's are not just good for earbuds but as good as your A900's and CD780's. Harder to drive than either though(all 150ohm). I am getting an HR-1 myself. Supposed to be easier to drive though( not sure if the final production will differ from the prototypes). We'll see how a minidisc player can run them.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #35 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting theory, lewislink, but the Klipsch existed first and uses armatures while the Sennheiser is dynamic drivers. The housing are different also though somewhat similar in appearance.

They do sound very different in the specs but, the way every product is rebadged from other products these days, who knows.

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #36 of 92
Klipsch Custom-1 canaphones continued...

That was rather fast! I made a quick decision about these phones and it is to put them away.Because of their shape, I just could not get a reliable fit because my ear canals are angled differently from one another and these are made for the norm. If the stem had been movable, I would likely be able to gain a reliable fit and seal. I even tried the tri flanges from the Etys but they couldn't help either. These are comfortable for a while but they get rather uncomfortable if worn for long duration...about an hour or two.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #37 of 92
Altec Lansing InMotion iM616 canalphones

What a surprise these turned out to be! I saw them online at a particular retailer for $50 and, because I knew AL was part of Harman International, decided to go for them. The Harman Kardon branded offerings use Etymotic technology and I figured AL wanted a piece of the pie and offer their line of higher end phones with Ety tech. These 616s certainly look the part of higher tech, resembling the Etymotic ER4s and HKs EP730s but would they sound good?

My very first experience with AL headphones was in the form of earbuds that were selling somewhat cheaply at a closing CompUSA store, the Altec Lansing UHP101. I figured, "might as well, for the price, AL usually makes some decent stuff". So I got them, tried them and, although the sound quality was acceptable, I didn't care too much for them for their fit. I shelved 'em after a day of wear and went on to other stuff.

When I bought these 616s, I wasn't expecting very much, but I did expect decent sound quality. I wasn't expecting to be blown away with what compares to, and in my opinion, excels, the Etymotic 6s...even though these are likely made by Etymotic. The richness and clarity and presence of sound was awesome and I have to admit, I had a hard time believing they were going to be good so I was looking for audio issues like grain and mud and thought I was hearing some. They have a very lively, dynamic sound that my Ety6s don't have. I love the sound quality of these ALs but I'm not certain yet if the quality is up there with my UE 3s. The dynamics of sound is certainly there, on the same level, with my UE3s but I'm not certain they have the detail and definition of the UE3s. I don't believe they'll prove to match the UE3s in that regard but they are as lively and dynamic and refreshing to listen to. I can listen to these non-stop and not become tired of them. That's something I like about the UE3s...as long as I can maintain a decent and comfortable ear seal.

I love the type of Jazz from the Rippingtons, Eric Marienthal, Flim and the BBs, David Sanborn and such and when I listen to their music through these 616s, I want to turn it up and start dancing. Get a good sax going in the Rippingtons like their North Star in Curves Ahead and I'm buzzing. Just outstanding! I can say that with the UE3, and the V-Moda Vibes and maybe a few others but it's strained with the Ety6s. However, with these ALs, I'm a Cheshire cat, smiling from ear to ear.
smily_headphones1.gif
This is one set of canalphones I'm glad I found.

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #38 of 92
Altec Lansing InMotion iM616 canalphones continued...

I think I'm sold on foams. I've haven't ever used them before because I didn't need to and I felt they were too leaky, being porous, they wouldn't seal in the music very well. Since choosing them to adorn my outstanding, new AL 616s instead of silicones, I've been pleased. I tried them with the UE3s I have but they didn't help that situation. These much smaller 616s, they are great for. Thanks to everyone for their contribution of any and all suggestions in my audio nirvana endeavor. I have greatly improved since being a member of this forum.

I kept switching between the Ety6s and these and, sure enough, these are better. The sound just comes alive with these 616s. With that said, the Etys are very detailed but I feel they are slightly muddy, which takes away from the overall enjoyment.

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #39 of 92
Altec Lansing InMotion iM616 canalphones continued...

I ordered some "black olives" and received them. I put them on these 616s and found the sound quality to be lesser for some reason. The olives I bought were for SE310, 420, E3 and so forth, but they still fit incredibly tight on the stem and I'm thinking the hole might be so much smaller as to effect the sound output in some way.

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #40 of 92
Some excellent reviews of the different 'buds, LL. When you're ready, I do recommend hearing OK1. They are exceptional. And I know, $$$...sorry about yr wallet!

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #41 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some excellent reviews of the different 'buds, LL. When you're ready, I do recommend hearing OK1. They are exceptional. And I know, $$$...sorry about yr wallet!

LOL...I'm getting around to them. I have some Head Direct RE2s coming next. After that, probably some OK1s. However, I am so pleased and impressed with these AL 616s that I bought the 716s, too.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #42 of 92
Not sure if she will do more, but Germania, a great Head-Fier, modded my 716s for $20. It's not her business or anything, but she did a fantastic job. I use them with the FiiO amp (and at home, my Minibox) and they sound great. However, I don't like them nearly as much without an amp, even modded.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #43 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if she will do more, but Germania, a great Head-Fier, modded my 716s for $20. It's not her business or anything, but she did a fantastic job. I use them with the FiiO amp (and at home, my Minibox) and they sound great. However, I don't like them nearly as much without an amp, even modded.

What, exactly, does modding do? What takes place, new circuits, transducer, etc?

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #44 of 92
I have UE triples and wondering if normal to use different size buds for each ear? I may get better fit with medium on left and small on right. Thoughts? Does it affect sound with improper balance?

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #45 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueTrader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have UE triples and wondering if normal to use different size buds for each ear? I may get better fit with medium on left and small on right. Thoughts? Does it affect sound with improper balance?

I also have different size ear canals but never experienced any great or minor audio differences with the sleeves I've used. However, since discovering the goodness of foams, I doubt I would ever have the issue. The foams easily compensate for any ear size differences and they are very stable, reliable and comfortable. As soon as I receive the ones I have ordered for my UE3s, I'll be using them much more so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back