Earbud target curve tests
Nov 9, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #61 of 318
Fiio EM5 version 1.5
Bass Edition

version 1.4 might have leaned a bit more neutral than some users prefer. For v1.5, I'll be generating 2 versions -- a bass edition (with some warmth added in the lower mids) and a more neutral version coming later in the week.

Here's the bass edition for the Fiio EM5 and here are the changes from v1.4:

sam 1.5 vs 1.4 vs 1.3.jpg

I'm running the wavelet file at 60% strength.

Attachments

• fiio em5 ParametricEQ v1.5 sam.txt
    376 bytes · Views: 0
  • fiio em5 sam v1.5.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #62 of 318
v1.5 Bass Edition for the K's Nameless

Sadly, my Nameless was stolen, so I can't test this out. I'd suggest starting the wavelet file at 50% strength.

Attachments

• k_s nameless ParametricEQ v1.5 sam.txt
    375 bytes · Views: 0
  • k_s nameless sam v1.5.txt
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #63 of 318
Nicehck me80, version 1.5 bass edition

Should still retain upper mid and treble energy as in v.1.4 with a tad more bass presence. v1.5 is intended to add a bit of lower mid warmth but it's very subtle on the m80. My recommendation is to run the wavelet at around 60-75% at first and tweak from there. As always, observations are welcome!

Attachments

• nicehck me80 ParametricEQ v1.5 sam.txt
    375 bytes · Views: 0
  • nicehck me80 sam v1.5.txt
Nov 9, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #64 of 318
Nicehck me80, version 1.5 bass edition

Should still retain upper mid and treble energy as in v.1.4 with a tad more bass presence. v1.5 is intended to add a bit of lower mid warmth but it's very subtle on the m80. My recommendation is to run the wavelet at around 60-75% at first and tweak from there. As always, observations are welcome!

Thank you Sam.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #65 of 318
Nov 9, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #66 of 318
version 1.5 bass edition for the Nicehck b40

For the wavelet file, I'd start around 50%.

Attachments

• nicehck b40 ParametricEQ v1.5 sam.txt
    519 bytes · Views: 0
  • nicehck b40 sam v1.5.txt
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #67 of 318
ISN Rambo 2 version 1.5
bass edition

I'm able to run this, so far, at 100% strength on wavelet with no distortion (knock on wood.)

I you use the PEQ file through peace/apo equalizer, I recommend setting the preamp value to -7dB and adjust from there.

Attachments

• isn rambo 2 ParametricEQ v1.5 sam.txt
    374 bytes · Views: 0
  • isn rambo 2 sam v1.5.txt
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #68 of 318
edit (jan.13): added additional files, including 10 band eq settings (FixedBandEq file)

Yincrow X6
version 1.5 bass edition

What the wavelet file is doing (bass version):
yincrow x6.png

I'm running wavelet at 70% eq strength.

For peace/apo, start with a pre-amp value = -6.9dB

Attachments

• yincrow x6 FixedBandEQ v1.5 bass.txt
    468 bytes · Views: 0
  • yincrow x6 PEQ v1.5 bass.txt
    421 bytes · Views: 0
  • yincrow x6 wavelet v1.5 bass.txt
  • yincrow x6 FixedBandEQ v1.5 neutral.txt
    468 bytes · Views: 0
  • yincrow x6 PEQ v1.5 neutral.txt
    420 bytes · Views: 0
  • yincrow x6 wavelet v1.5 neutral.txt
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #69 of 318
Sam Target v1.5 Bass Edition

version 1.4 might have leaned a bit more neutral than some users prefer. For v1.5, I'll be generating 2 versions -- a bass edition (with some warmth added in the lower mids) and a more neutral version coming later in the week.

Here's the bass edition for the Fiio EM5 and here are the changes from v1.4:

sam 1.5 vs 1.4 vs 1.3.jpg

I'm running the wavelet file at 60% strength.
Tried it on the em5, running it at 80%, sounds amazing. It's like a whole other earbud, the fiio takes on the eq super well. While I still like the stock tuning, the compensated fiio is a very welcome second signature. Tried the nameless comp as well, was running it at 80% as well at first, but that was a bit lean in the lower mids and mid bass. No such issue on the fiio though, perhaps it's just the driver characteristics. At 50% the nameless comp sounds good. I'm thinking perhaps some of the lower end buds might benefit more midbass to hide the inherent flaws of cheaper drivers, sort of like how the X6 does it

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #71 of 318
Gonna try it out. will there be a bass edition as well? :D
:) some of us can always use more bass, right?

There's already a +2 to +5dB lift in the bass and sub-bass with the files I uploaded. I probably won't go any higher than that because of the following reasons:
- I want to maintain adherence to an "ideal" earbuds target curve that applies generally to all earbuds as much as possible.
- at some point, the more I add to the bass the additional headroom required to accommodate will affect other parts of the spectrum
- wavelet's bass filter is amazing and would be a more consistent, higher quality "fix" for those that want more bass.

I will make a more analytical/neutral version of all these files at some point. The difference will be lower mid drop by -2dB and a flat target for sub-bass and bass regions (like v1.4)

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #72 of 318
Tried it on the em5, running it at 80%, sounds amazing. It's like a whole other earbud, the fiio takes on the eq super well. While I still like the stock tuning, the compensated fiio is a very welcome second signature. Tried the nameless comp as well, was running it at 80% as well at first, but that was a bit lean in the lower mids and mid bass. No such issue on the fiio though, perhaps it's just the driver characteristics. At 50% the nameless comp sounds good. I'm thinking perhaps some of the lower end buds might benefit more midbass to hide the inherent flaws of cheaper drivers, sort of like how the X6 does it
Yes, fully agree. The driver in the EM5 is incredibly forgiving and can take pretty much anything you throw at it via EQ. I don't think people have a sense of how dramatic these wavelet files can affect sound in a positive, meaningful manner. The overall signature is literally like listening to an entirely different high end earbud, which has started to open up my thinking in presenting at least 2 versions of files from now on -- a bass version and a more neutral/analytical-ish version.

I run the Nameless at 50% as well, so we match there. I'm not running the em5 quite as high as you but that's only because my brain can't handle how different the sound profile sounds from stock. It's as if I need to re-burn-in my brain, so I'm at 60% although 80% sounds fantastic too (and for that matter 100% works perfectly as well).

Nov 13, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #74 of 318
Do you also have PEQ file for **** BK2? Just received it along with the suggested cable here so excited to try out. Thanks.
Here you go.

v1.5 BK2 PEQ file (I'm also including an updated v1.5 since I re-measured the bk2)
start with a pre-amp value of -10dB

I'm running the wavelet at 80% strength.

**edit**
this is the bass version

Attachments

• yinyoo_bk2 ParametricEQ v1.5 sam.txt
    420 bytes · Views: 0
  • yinyoo_bk2 sam v1.5.txt
Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #75 of 318
version 1.5 bass edition
Monk Lite 120 ohm

Let me know how it sounds. I'm still waiting for my replacement set to arrive via aliexpress.

Attachments

• monk lite 120 ParametricEQ v1.5 sam.txt
    327 bytes · Views: 0
  • monk lite 120 sam v1.5.txt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back