Earbud target curve tests
Oct 5, 2020 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 318

Sam L

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to invite feedback as I dial in a target curve for earbuds. I figure it'll be easier to keep the discussion away from the earbuds roundup thread since most there might not be interested in using wavelet or peace / apo equalizer.

The current test curve is at version 1.5. I plan to release two sub-version from 1.5 forward -- a bass version and a more neutral one.

Here's the 1.5 target graph

sam 1.5 vs 1.4 vs 1.3.jpg

Here's my initial test target

Current revision is v1.1. I still need to catch up on generating compensation files for v1.1

sam v11 vs oratory vs harman.jpg

v1.2 target is in alpha, which basically means I generate files for just one or two buds. I'm holding off on public releases until I can streamline participation and get a sense of earbud priority based on public interest.

sam v12 vs v11 vs oratory.jpg

** edit 10/7 **
adding v1.3 target graph

sam v1.2 vs. v1.3.jpg

Attachments

• sam 1.5 vs 1.4 vs 1.3.jpg
    sam 1.5 vs 1.4 vs 1.3.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 318
{save}

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 318
I'll be generating compensation files (eventually) for the following buds:

Fiio EM5
Yincrow RW-9
Yincrow X6
Nicehck B40
Nicehck ME80
Monk lite 120 ohm
Monk plus
Rambo 2
Smabat s-10s black/silver
Fengru emx500

I'll gladly consider requests but that will be dependent on me getting a hold of the bud, measuring it, and generating a compensation file.

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 318
@Nool moving the discussion here so things don't get lost in other earbuds talk.

agreed, the rambo 2 file I made is a tad bright. It was based on oratory1990. I dropped the treble down -2db. I'll probably need to do more.

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 318
@sub30 putting you down for testing the monk lite 120ohm.

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 318
geez... don't like how this Yincrow X6 compensation turned out. I have to run it at 50% to not affect tonality and timbre excessively. I'll post it regardless in case others want to give it a try.

Attachments

• yincrow x6 sam v1.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 318
thank you so much for your effort,
pretty sure I will try every single one of the eq file,

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 318
thank you so much for your effort,
pretty sure I will try every single one of the eq file,
Thank you for your help. I see you are from Indonesia? I really want earbuds to become popular globally, which is why I am putting the effort into making earbuds sound as amazing as possible.

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 318
I would love to get Fiio's earbud tuner in here. :)

In targeting an earbud's curve, I'm realizing that the pinna gain for buds is completely different, not to mention (as on the other thread) that the Fletcher Munson contour seems to be handled completely differently on earbuds. We'll get there....

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 318
geez... don't like how this Yincrow X6 compensation turned out. I have to run it at 50% to not affect tonality and timbre excessively. I'll post it regardless in case others want to give it a try.
I'm on a LG v60 and run this with the quad dac on. If you are on another android device, you might need to go even lower to something like 40% eq strength.

**edit**
running it at 60%. Sounds fantastic. Sound stage opens up significantly.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 318
Thank you for your help. I see you are from Indonesia? I really want earbuds to become popular globally, which is why I am putting the effort into making earbuds sound as amazing as possible.
yes,
pretty sure earbuds are more popular than iems here, by the sales figure at least,
also alot of diy earbud,

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 318
yes,
pretty sure earbuds are more popular than iems here, by the sales figure at least,
also alot of diy earbud,
Yes, I heard that in Indonesia and China earbuds are very popular. I have a belief that if global demand went up, we would see accelerated innovation.

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 318
@sub30 putting you down for testing the monk lite 120ohm.
Dude, I haven't even received my order of the Nameless and red Vidos 😂 In 2-3 days it'll arrive at my house so if I like the sound of "earbuds" in general, I'd definitely upgrade. Maybe the new JCALLY EP05 cause I can get those for 9 bucks and they're MMCX. Though not immediately as I wanna make the most out of the Nameless and Vidos. We've only got two ears, or so they say 😅🤣 Oh, and I don't know if it was a mistake, but I don't have the Monk lite.

Edit: Haven't used wavelet ever. Now, I know why. It's not compatible with my android phone. Bummer. I use Peace APO though.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 318
Dude, I haven't even received my order of the Nameless and red Vidos 😂 In 2-3 days it'll arrive at my house so if I like the sound of "earbuds" in general, I'd definitely upgrade. Maybe the new JCALLY EP05 cause I can get those for 9 bucks and they're MMCX. Though not immediately as I wanna make the most out of the Nameless and Vidos. We've only got two ears, or so they say 😅🤣 Oh, and I don't know if it was a mistake, but I don't have the Monk lite.

Edit: Haven't used wavelet ever. Now, I know why. It's not compatible with my android phone. Bummer. I use Peace APO though.
Ah. I'll make sure to generate peq files for apo then. Which bud(s) did you have?

**edit**
Nevermind, I think I understand. You're still waiting for the buds to come in. I got you mixed up with someone else.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 318
Ah. I'll make sure to generate peq files for apo then. Which bud(s) did you have?

**edit**
Nevermind, I think I understand. You're still waiting for the buds to come in. I got you mixed up with someone else.
That's what I thought also 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back