Earbud target curve tests
Jan 30, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #286 of 318
Come on, it's not that hard to add a single line of code :wink: Now I sound like a programmer. :wink:
Ok, fine. You win, from now on. :)

Now I have to make a version for myself and another one for the general public. Lol

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #287 of 318
Ok, fine. You win, from now on. :)

Now I have to make a version for myself and another one for the general public. Lol
Why? Don't do this. I think this line of code will automatically skip when loading if EQ doesn't recognize it
Also I posted it as a tip for those who don't want to set up a non-stop preamp value every time they load the preset.
I had no intention of sabotaging your "miraculous" work :beerchug: Sorry if I caused a problem :wink:
BTW...I sent you a PM.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #288 of 318
Thanks for sharing. I'll put together of a list of hardware that doesn't work with wavelet at some point.

Also, USB direct mode will not work with wavelet. So some apps will require that to be disabled before wavelet starts working.

**edit**
have you tried just the sonata hd pro with your phone? I just confirmed that the sonata hd pro works with wavelet on my Samsung s21
Yes bro ! Don't work! Samsung S8 plus with sonata hd pro . Right ?

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #290 of 318
Why? Don't do this. I think this line of code will automatically skip when loading if EQ doesn't recognize it
Also I posted it as a tip for those who don't want to set up a non-stop preamp value every time they load the preset.
I had no intention of sabotaging your "miraculous" work :beerchug: Sorry if I caused a problem :wink:
BTW...I sent you a PM.
no toes stepped on... It's a great tip to make things easier for users. Also, in Peace any pre-amp values entered can also be saved as well.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #291 of 318
Just got my Datura Pro. It sounds terrible without EQ. With EQ it sounds better.

Still taking some time to compare it to my Mrz Tomahawk. I'm not noticing a giant improvement in sound quality though. Sub bass seems tighter and less distorted. Sub bass quantity seems lower even when using 1.5 bass PEQ.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #292 of 318
Just got my Datura Pro. It sounds terrible without EQ. With EQ it sounds better.

Still taking some time to compare it to my Mrz Tomahawk. I'm not noticing a giant improvement in sound quality though. Sub bass seems tighter and less distorted. Sub bass quantity seems lower even when using 1.5 bass PEQ.
Take your time. Let driver to break-in a few days. With daturaPro don't expect quantity in bass but quality. DaturaPro will probably have more balanced sound then Tomahawk.

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #293 of 318
After messing around with the bud I think I am satisfied with it.

First thing that helped was putting on the foams so it was more secure. The bud is a bit smaller than the mx500 shells that I am used to so it keeps moving around my ears and not creating a good seal for the bass.

Then I changed the bass reduction at 200hz from -15 db to -10 db. Without this boost, it sounded kind of tinny to me compared to my other buds.

Now that I've listened to these buds I think I can hear sounds that were distorted on my other buds. The improvement is somewhat subtle, but I guess I was expecting too much since I was expecting a massive improvement like going from $10 to $30 buds.

I'd definitely recommend these buds over all the other ones I've had if you don't mind using an equalizer. It sounds better than my tomahawk with the tweaks I made. There's no overly boosted treble, and imaging seems better as well. Though it should be noted you might have to get an amp since you need to reduce the volume by -10 db in the equalizer.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #294 of 318

First thing that helped was putting on the foams so it was more secure. The bud is a bit smaller than the mx500 shells that I am used to so it keeps moving around my ears and not creating a good seal for the bass.

Then I changed the bass reduction at 200hz from -15 db to -10 db. Without this boost, it sounded kind of tinny to me compared to my other buds.

Now that I've listened to these buds I think I can hear sounds that were distorted on my other buds. The improvement is somewhat subtle, but I guess I was expecting too much since I was expecting a massive improvement like going from $10 to $30 buds.

I'd definitely recommend these buds over all the other ones I've had if you don't mind using an equalizer. It sounds better than my tomahawk with the tweaks I made. There's no overly boosted treble, and imaging seems better as well. Though it should be noted you might have to get an amp since you need to reduce the volume by -10 db in the equalizer.
You confused me with the previous comment. You didn't tell me right away that you tried them without foams.
Foams are very important for a good fit, that way you get better bass and softened treble. It also protects the headphones from direct contact with moisture.
A big improvement is compared to stock tuning. You have good cable, superb build quality, great looking design and decent sound.
What else can you expect better for $25 I hope we agree on that.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #295 of 318

ahh... Yes you have to run my files with foams on. I compensate them assuming that foams are on the buds.

You can also try these versions out. The results are subtle but I prefer them. My compensation files will sound "tinny" in general if you are used to uncompensated earbuds. I tend to focus on removing mid bass bloat and increasing sound stage with my files. I also assume that users will further dial things to their preference by altering EQ as needed.

Datura Pro version 1.5 10k ceiling

Attachments

• datura pro FixedBandEQ v1.5 bass 10k.txt
    467 bytes · Views: 0
  • datura pro PEQ v1.5 bass 10k.txt
    324 bytes · Views: 0
  • datura pro wavelet v1.5 bass 10k.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
  • datura pro FixedBandEQ v1.5 neutral 10k.txt
    467 bytes · Views: 0
  • datura pro PEQ v1.5 neutral 10k.txt
    325 bytes · Views: 0
  • datura pro wavelet v1.5 neutral 10k.txt
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #296 of 318
I can't tell any difference between foams and foamless on my other buds. I'm just using them on the datura pro to get a tighter fit to my ears since they are smaller than what I'm used to and the buds keep moving around my ears.

I'm not noticing any changes between the original and 10k files either. I think the treble is fine.

If you look at the FR curve here, it looks like by boosting the drop at 200 hz by +4 db, it would make the curve flatter across the entire spectrum, so I guess I prefer a very neutral curve.

11363040.jpg

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #297 of 318
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #298 of 318

Attachments

• isn rambo 2 wavelet v1.5 bass 10k.txt
  • isn rambo 2 PEQ v1.5 bass 10k.txt
    231 bytes · Views: 0
  • isn rambo 2 FixedBandEQ v1.5 bass 10k.txt
    470 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #299 of 318
Fiio EM5 version 1.5
bass edition and bass edition compensated to 10k

I just realized two things:
1. I haven't put up a 10k restricted version for the EM5, which I've been using lately.
2. It's not easy to find files for the various models I've measured and compensated. Going forward I will use the following convention for my posts that have files in them. [manufacturer] [model] version [release number]. Oh, and use quotes -- so "EM5 version" as the search input will help locate the posts with files for the em5.

Attachments

• fiio em5 FixedBandEQ v1.5 bass 10k.txt
    468 bytes · Views: 0
  • fiio em5 PEQ v1.5 bass 10k.txt
    280 bytes · Views: 0
  • fiio em5 wavelet v1.5 bass 10k.txt
  • fiio em5 FixedBandEQ.txt
    468 bytes · Views: 0
  • fiio em5 PEQ v1.5 bass.txt
    376 bytes · Views: 0
  • fiio em5 v1.5 bass.txt
Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #300 of 318
I can't tell any difference between foams and foamless on my other buds. I'm just using them on the datura pro to get a tighter fit to my ears since they are smaller than what I'm used to and the buds keep moving around my ears.

I'm not noticing any changes between the original and 10k files either. I think the treble is fine.

If you look at the FR curve here, it looks like by boosting the drop at 200 hz by +4 db, it would make the curve flatter across the entire spectrum, so I guess I prefer a very neutral curve.

11363040.jpg

the differences in the 10k files I'll be compiling going forward will have varying degrees of subtlety, depending on the earbud. I want to emphasize that my compensation files are intended to do the "heavy lifting" in eq'ing buds, with room for additional tweaks from the user to dial in their preference. As you've seen, the stock tuning on many (most?) earbuds are pretty poor in terms of their potential.

I'm not surprised at your preference for the neutral target. It's my preference as well. One of the things I found surprising when I first started trying to establish a target curve, was that the FR for bass doesn't need to be as elevated as they typically are for good bass. Flat for an earbud still has good, present bass -- where a flat bass FR for an IEM will sound enemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back