Earbud/IEM recommendation for under $900~
Feb 19, 2018 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

originxt

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on a new pair of IEMs. I used to have the Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII for 3ish years but they stopped working.

I liked the sound I got from them, analytical and somewhat bright. The bass was ok but lacked any real impact. Mids were fantastic.

I was looking for something similar, maybe a bit more fun. I thought maybe the IE-800 or the Shure SE-846 but was wondering if there were any other considerations I should be looking at.

I will be using it as an everyday headset such as when I'm walking or working. I have a different pair for gym stuff. I will not be driving it with any amps.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on a new pair of IEMs. I used to have the Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII for 3ish years but they stopped working.

I liked the sound I got from them, analytical and somewhat bright. The bass was ok but lacked any real impact. Mids were fantastic.

I was looking for something similar, maybe a bit more fun. I thought maybe the IE-800 or the Shure SE-846 but was wondering if there were any other considerations I should be looking at.

I will be using it as an everyday headset such as when I'm walking or working. I have a different pair for gym stuff. I will not be driving it with any amps.
It is somewhat over budget but I am going to go ahead and throw the Andromeda into the ring anyway. I don't personally consider it especially bright but it is supremely musical and an absolute joy to listen to. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is conceivable it could work for you.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 13
It is somewhat over budget but I am going to go ahead and throw the Andromeda into the ring anyway. I don't personally consider it especially bright but it is supremely musical and an absolute joy to listen to. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is conceivable it could work for you.
I am assuming you mean the Campfire Audio Andromeda? Do you by chance have any experience with it?

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 13
Yes. It has a gorgeous, astoundingly spacious midrange and a stage with vast depth--especially in the bass and midrange. One of the best universals I have heard, personally
Based on readings for the Andromeda and even for the IE800 or 846, it seems people are driving them with external hardware. Is a phone's headphone jack not enough power to drive these IEM?

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 13
The IE800 has a sensitivity of only 103 dB, so it will be the most difficult to drive of the 114 dB SE846 and the Andro. Andromeda is easily driven to big volumes with a phone or a DAP alone--no problem.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 13
The IE800 has a sensitivity of only 103 dB, so it will be the most difficult to drive of the 114 dB SE846 and the Andro. Andromeda is easily driven to big volumes with a phone or a DAP alone--no problem.
Thanks for answering all these questions, I might as well ask this as well since I'm potentially going over budget. Is the Vega worth the extra price in your opinion? I've read the bass is definitely more present in Vega but the Andromeda is a much more clear and better listen. Both are good IEM but clear on what they both excel at.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 13
Definitely more robust bass on the Vega but that midrange on the Andromeda is just from another planet (pardon the pun). For me, personally, it has some magic that the Vega does not possess. Others may disagree, but that is just my take and YMMV, of course.

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 13
Definitely more robust bass on the Vega but that midrange on the Andromeda is just from another planet (pardon the pun). For me, personally, it has some magic that the Vega does not possess. Others may disagree, but that is just my take and YMMV, of course.
Definitely an IEM I have never heard of, probably dozens out there as well, but going to bite the bullet and give these a try. Your recommendations and lack of any real negatives from other reviewers really sell it for me. Thanks for answering all my questions.
Cheap question, is there a promo code?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 13
If the Andromeda is out of budget, keep your eyes on CA's website... sometimes they'll have B-stock for cheaper.

Otherwise, Jupiter also reviews well. Not as well as Andromeda though.

Feb 24, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 13
Hi Originxt,

I would recommend the ATH-E70, this is my daily IEM, accurate & detailed, good natural bass response with good isolation.

Check pro music stores for good deals on this.

Always demo with quality sources.

Hoe this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back