Earbud Choice for Cowon D2
Dec 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

younglee200

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a Cowon D2 w/ E3 & a Mini^3 high performance version.

I've decided to try the Yuin earbuds and is now debating on whether to order the PK1, OK2, or the OK1.

PK1 costs 160 dollars, while the OK2s cost 130. OK1s cost 230.

I plan to amp the Cowon D2, especially if it will make a difference. I'm willing to spend ~200 on an amp as well if the Mini^3 isn't good enough.

I listen to a wide variety of music, just about everything except rap and country. Most of my portable listening will be done around the school campus, gym, public transportation, and at a cafe / library, where there is to be background noise.

From the reviews I've read, I've seen that the OK1s are overall better than the PK1s, both amped and unamped. Is the improvement enough to justify the ~1.5x in price?

Also, how do the OK2s compare to the PK1s? Is it actually worth even amping the D2 to power either of these phones?

Thanks in advance

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 4
I drive the Yuin PK2 and the Shure SE530, the Koss KSC75 and JVC Marshmallows from the D2. I choose not to use a portable amp. In my case I didn't fine the use of a portable amp added enough to warrant the expense and hassle of another piece of gear. YMMV.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 4
Though I do listen to my D2 amped when I am at home or at work, I do use the OK1s on them unamped when I am on the go. I do like my OK1s alot but I am sure that the PK1s are just as good really. Physically they are different in that the OK1s use a rubber coated cable while I believe the PK1s use a plasticy casing on the cable. Also the PK1s have a thinner depth to the ear piece versus the OK1.

Check out this awesome review comparing the OK1, PK1, OK2, PK2 along with a great picture.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 4
all of those benefit from amping, but with the D2, it should be fine unamped.
OK1,2 have better mid/high, while PK1 have better bass
imo, I like the PK1 better, because it's good in everything
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back