Ear Zonk vs Grado ear cushions.
May 25, 2014 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MindsMirror

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought the Ear Zonk L cushions to put on my SR125i. I'm not entirely happy with them. One of the ear pads is distinctly more comfortable than the other. One is thinner towards the center than the other, and I think that causes the top of my ear to touch the the fabric on the headphones themselves with more pressure than the other ear does.

My question is, are the Grado cushions better? How is the consistency from one cushion to another? How are they different from the Ear Zonks? From pictures and the cushions that I own, it looks like the inside of the Ear Zonks are sloped almost all the way from the inner edge to the outer edge, whereas the Grados are flat around the outer edge and then slope more towards the inside. Is there any thickness at the inner edge of the Grado cushions? I'm not sure if I'm explaining this very well. Here's a picture, I'm talking about the thickness between where I marked with green lines. You may not be able to tell from the picture, but the further cushion is thicker in that area, and it is more comfortable for me. Also, what is the depth of the Grado cushions? If you sit a straight edge across the cushions and measure the distance from it to the cloth mesh, it is 12mm on my Ear Zonks.

That's electrical tape around the outside, by the way. I was trying out the tape mod and I figured black electrical tape would look better than clear tape. Electrical tape also seems thicker, I don't know if that's good or bad. Maybe colored electrical tape would look nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back