Ear wax removal.... is it a mod??
Jun 4, 2003 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

london luke

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure which forum to post this???? so please move as required.

How many of us have had their ears pumped out??? I had it done 1 year ago(I'm 40) and was shocked by how much came out!! Also the difference it made. The first few days was amazing.

I am wondering if this is the first thing we should look at to improve all the $$$$$££££££ we spend.

Cheers

Jun 4, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 42
wow...u can acutally do that?

Jun 4, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 42
If you do a search you will find quite a few threads on the subject. Most often it comes up when someone is contemplating the purchase of Etys. I wonder how many headphone users could benefit from a good cleaning.

Jun 4, 2003 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 42
maybe we should ask the doctor to host a meet after a massive treatment to the head-fiers
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 42
You don't have to go to the doctor to have your ears flushed out. You can buy earwax removal solution at your local drug store/pharmacy/grocery store. There are several brands- Deebrox, Murine, off-brands, etc. It's a peroxide type of solution where you put a nunber of drops into the ear and the solution loosens/disolves the wax. You can buy the solution usually with a bulbous syringe to flush the ear out with water after leaving the solution in your ear for several minutes. We're talking $5 or so. Works great! I clean my ears out every couple of months. The first time I did it I was amazed at how much came out. A friend of mine did it as well and he literally had massive chunks coming out of his ear and he had no idea he had ANY wax build up! You will definitely hear improvement in hearing if you have a good amount of build up.
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 42
Sean H,

You haven't really had your ears cleaned out until you go to the doctor. Those over the counter syringes are nothing compared to the artillery the Ear Nose and Throat doctors use. We're talking jet-engine caliber hardware.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 42
He he he. Well, I'm sure they do a hell of a job but the over the counter stuff works great too. The key is the solution and not the syringe, in the case of the over the counter option. You need to fill the ear up with the solution, lay on your side and let is loosen and eat away at the wax for several minutes, I'm talking 30 minutes minimum. That really loosens things up a lot, not to mention is dissolves it as well. Then, it's just a matter of flushing the ear with the the bulb syringe. Works great! I would like to try the doctor out sometime however!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 42
doctor cleaning vs. diy cleaning - review
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 42
I call it personal hygeine more than a mod. I clean out my ears every single day right after showering to soften up the ear wax. Works great and ensures a good clean shot for the sound every day.

Jun 4, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 42
Ha! You know, I could post a review actually, as I've DIY cleaned my ears so many times I know about the level of improvement in my hearing after a cleaning and could compare that to the doctor.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe I could also bring along my gear to the appointment and do a before and after comparison right after the cleaning.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 42
But where would you post the review? Tweaks? DIY? Amplification?
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
I call it personal hygeine more than a mod. I clean out my ears every single day right after showering to soften up the ear wax. Works great and ensures a good clean shot for the sound every day.

How do you clean? Actually, you aren't supposed to clean your ears out at all, only when you have massive build up. Reason being your ears self-clean themselves and actually the earwax is a protective thing for the ears sensitive tissues. It's hard not to though, who wants water and some of that earwax near the rim of your canal in there.

I used to clean my ears out right after a shower everyday, for years. Then one day I thought I might try to clean them out with a over the counter solution and syringe as I sensed I had a little bit of build up beyond normal. I had massive wax coming out!! Not just newly created wax but old, hard, dark wax that was well inside the canal. You might just try it!!
smily_headphones1.gif

This thread is getting pretty silly now, heh.
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 42
I normally clean out my ears everyday.. but i did go to the doc sveral months ago and marbles of the stuff came out.. i didn't think there was that much room in the.. i say go to the doc every three to six months.. it's easier for them to pick the stuff out along with the peroxide than it is for you.. you could end up poking yer drum.

Jun 4, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #15 of 42
Wow!

I went to my general physician yesterday to have my left ear flushed and I was going to write a post about it. An ENT told me a few years ago that I have the dubious distinction of having a narrow and curved ear canal and I produce excessive wax (yuck!). I've tried Debrox. It does work wonders, but I've ended up getting my ears flushed every 3-4 months. Yesterday, a couple of little pieces came out and improved my hearing. While I was waiting to get flushed I used the tuning fork (?) that was in the exam room. I noticed my right ear is more sensitive throughout the entire range of the tuning fork even after the flush to the leftside.

There is one caveat to all this. After a couple of squirts of the irrigator I felt dizzy. The doc said because of the shape and size of my ear canal the water pressure is "amplified" and causes more pain. Imagine someone stabbing your ear with a knitting needle. She said your comfort is paramount over me getting out that last layer of wax. Less pain for me the better. She earned her $10 copay!

580s and MG Head always sound sweeter after the 'ol irrigation.

Regards - reynman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back