EAR+ Tubes?
Jul 19, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
I bought the "Mullard 12ax7 remake by Groove tubes" and could not tell much if any difference from the original. I use it in the Ear+ Extream. I like it. I like it a lot. It cost between $17 to $21 each. Do a net search.
600smile.gif

what exactly is in the EAR+ Extreme?

I have the HD what's the difference?

Jul 19, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 22
for what it is worth, My 25th special edition has the Philips Miniwatt and that is one very sweet sounding tube.
Not that expensive also.
I think Brent Jesse has a few at $45
they really are quite nice.

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphinx
what exactly is in the EAR+ Extreme?

I have the HD what's the difference?

A lot more power supply capacitence and corrisponding filtering. Erix's "big ass capacitor mod" was replaced with an even a bigger amount of capacitence. Top line (VK I think) Blackgates as apposed to mid line or bottom line Blackgates. Bypasses on capacitors. Auricaps everywhere. And a small host of other things "Erix" put in there and redid for me. A number of noted HeadFi brains contributed to it's design. A review still on it's way.
600smile.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #19 of 22
How much of a difference did it make to the overall sound. As compared to the HD spec Ear+

Jul 20, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #20 of 22
Quite a bit. Read the review when it comes out. Ear+ Extream vs HD300 vs HD25 vs Double modded Sugden vs Ear+ vs Bada.
tongue.gif
The HD25 comes in this Wendsday, as well as the Bada.
600smile.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #21 of 22
If you are patient you can probably find a good deal on eBay. You're in Ontario right? Thetubestore.com is in Hamilton and partsconnexion.com is in Oakville but both are mail order only. At least you're not dinged with duty, although the last tube I bought from eBay wasn't charged duty or GST/PST. In Toronto I've bought tubes from Steve's Music and Songbird, both guitar stores. I guess 12AX7 tubes are also used in guitar amps so you can try checking your local guitar shops. A Groovetube 12AX7M (Mullard re-issue) was something like CDN$26 (before tax). Electro Harmonix and JJ/Tesla 12AX7A was around CDN$14-15. Right now listening to Raytheon Bell&Howell 12AX7, sounds pretty sweet. Hope that helps.

Jul 28, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #22 of 22
Tubes I've tested in my Ear+ Purist, all 5751's..

Tung-Sol - Big boomy sloppy bass, terrible highs(possibly a bad tube?)
GE JAN - decent tube, good sound
Seimens WA - great sound, need some more time with it
Sylvania GB - excellent tight powerful bass, nice wide soundstage, one of my favorites
Raytheon(Westinghouse label) windmill getter - execellent tight bass, holy cow detail, this one I use the most right now

I also suggest getting a decent power cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back