Ear+Purist and tube rolling
Sep 25, 2005 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tuatara

500+ Head-Fier
Just had my Ear+ Purist HD100 a couple of days and at the moment I'm running a 12AT7 instead of the normal 5751 as Lloyd was out of stock.
There are a couple on the way to me know. However as I plan to keep this amp until hell freezes over or my ears fall off I'd like to get a few different tubes now for tube rolling and future stock.
Is it worth going for some of the higher priced NOS tubes(been looking at an Amperex Bugleboy 12AX7) or am I just as well sticking with some of the better new offerings like the 12AX7LPS-Sovtek or 5751 EH Gold-Electro Harmonix.
I'm new to all this so any help from Ear + users who have tried various tubes would be much appreciated.

Sep 25, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Although the 5751 has 70% of the gain of a 12AX7 (and it variants) it is a cleaner sounding tube. It is less microphonic and at the end of the day you will be happier with the 5751.

People are paying a lot of money for 12AX7's and for this application I do not see the need (if you wanted grunge on a guitar amp yes).

By the way enjoy your amp I got mine about a week ago. Post a picture, here is one my setup.

http://xs.to/xs.php?f=EarPuristandRS...h=xs47&d=05382

Sep 25, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 8
Tuatara,

Congrats on your Ear+. My Purist HD is now passing the 250 hour burn-in mark (playing it a lot..) and it's sounding simply incredible. Transparent, dynamic, organic, and pairs perfectly with my PS-1s.

I've rolled in the Sylvania Gold Band and currently using a GE 5 Star (both 5751s) and both are excellent. IMHO, it's definitely worth it to pick up some high-end 5751s. Look for links to "Joes Tube Lore" and read Nick Dangerous' tube rolling experiences for more and very relevant data. Possibly in part due to these great articles, the recommended tubes are difficult to find and pricey, but well worth the cost. Another member suggested the Brimar CV4004, which I plan to check out.

Happy listening,

Dave

Sep 25, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 8
thanks for the replies.
Bitten the bullet and just ordered a Sylvania Gold Labelled, Gold Brand 5751 gold pin and a 5751 greyplate triple mica GE 5-star broadcast which should give me something to start with.
Joes tube lore made interesting reading.

Oct 8, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 8
Had the chance to try 4 different tubes in the amp now, interesting and confusing. All the tubes have been new so I've tried to give at least 20 hours burn in before making any judgements. All my listening has been done with the RS1s.Did alot of reading before starting on the tube buying including Joes Tube Lore but already can see myself agreeing to disagree with some of his conclusions.In my defence I'd have to state that I'm middle aged with about 10% hearing loss due to 30 years of work in noisey motorcyle workshops so what may seem right to me may be too bright to others.

Sylvania Gold Labelled,gold pin 5751-warm with a wonderful midrange-smooth as silk but for me it lacks a bit of punch and extension top and bottom. Great with acoustic instruments and most vocals. If you spend alot of time listening to unamped music this would be a nice tube.Reminds me alot of good quality vintage radio like the big floor standing Gulbransen in my lounge.

Sovteck 5751-The tube the amp is usually shipped with-didn't really do alot for me,maybe needs more use. Abit laid back back without the smoothness of the Sylvania and lacking that 'attack' and punch that rock music needs.
Better bass extension than the Sylvania but less controlled and much much harder to pick out individual notes. Vocals at times become more recessed too.

GE 12AT7WA- this is the valve Lloyd shipped with the Purist and its not too bad, a friend who had a quick listen with his 325s thought it had the most natural reproduction of instruments he'd heard, high praise from a rabid audio fan. Makes me wonder whether it'd be worth tracking down some more 12AT7s to try.

12AX7Ei Elite-Gold -current tube.This is much closer to the sound of the SXH1 I've used for the last 18months, lots of punch on instruments like drums where there is now a whack instead of a thud and the highs on horns and strings are more pronounced without becoming grating as they sometimes did with the Perreaux(more a fault with the recordings than the amp as it was excellent with well recorded music). I could live with this tube for alot of the time, nice that they're cheap and readily available.

Still got several more to try including the GE 5751 greyplate triple , a RCA Command blackplate,an EH 5751 Gold and EH12AX7LPS.

Since I'm enjoying the current production 12AX7 I'm now getting the itch to try a Bugleboy, Also be interested if anyone has rolled some 12At7s in this amp.

Oct 8, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara
Still got several more to try including the GE 5751 greyplate triple , a RCA Command blackplate,an EH 5751 Gold and EH12AX7LPS.

There is a EH12AX7LPS?
I have a Sovtek 12AX7LPS and a EH 12AX7 but never heard of a EH12AX7LPS.
Is this a new tube or a typo?

Oct 8, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 8
typo- its sovtek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back